Chapter 4

Today was my first day back to work after two months.

The hospital understood my situation with my accident, and they gave me a pretty big break to take.

But I was finally ready to go back to work.

"You know I missed you," Nathan said.

"Nate, you've been seeing me almost every day," I giggled.

"Ya, but I mean at work. It's not the same without you here," he said.

I smiled at him. "I'm glad to be back actually," I looked around. "I missed everyone here as well."

"They missed you as well. Especially Iris. She wouldn't stop asking for you," he said.

Iris. Jace's grandma.

Or maybe she wasn't. I didn't know, really. I haven't seen Jace at the hospital since I ran away.

He hadn't come to visit her, nor did anyone come.

"Did anyone come to visit her these couple of months?" I asked, wondering maybe he had come when I was away.

But Nathan mentioned that no one did.

Jace did lie about her.

He had to. He would visit Iris on the daily before and to have him complete abandon her now seemed unusual.

But I didn't dwell on it longer. I didn't like thinking about Jace and I was glad he hadn't come back.

"Hello, my coworkers!" Skyler shouted as she came up to the front.

"We're not your coworkers until you get the job, Sky," Nathan rolled his eyes.

"Which I know she's going to," I said.

"Ya ya," Nathan mocked. She stuck her tongue out at him.

"Anyways, when is your interview?" I asked her.

She looked at her watch. "It should be soon, " she said.

"You're going to be great!" I assured her.

"What's that on your neck, Sky?" Nathan asked, squinting his eyes looking down at her neck.

I looked at her to find a purple bruise forming on her neck. "Is that a hickey?" I questioned.

She quickly took her phone out and flipped her camera on her phone, and stared at her neck.

Her face turned red not from embarrassment but anger. She looked furious as if she was ready to throw hands. "That fucking no good piece of garbage!" she yelled loudly. I looked around to see if anyone might have heard her, but we were the only ones here, thankfully.

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

She put her phone away. "I'm going to kill him," she said.

"Who?" Nathan asked, his own face filling with rage. The protective older brother is coming out.

"That motherfucker-"

"Excuse me, Sky?" She was interrupted by a nurse named Lily.

"Yes?" she turned to meet her. She tried to control her anger.

"Are you here for the interview?" She asked her with a smile. Sky nodded her head. "Perfect. You can just follow me," she said, walking away. Sky looked at us with her finger crossed, and I gave her a thumbs-up before she followed behind Lily.

-
I was exhausted from the long day at work.

I wanted nothing more than just to go home. My mom had let me borrow her car and went to work with my dad. I was glad since I didn't have to ask for a ride to anyone.