1 - Prologue

"You- dumb- person!" you spat as you try to loosen this drunk guy's arm from yours. You had done everything right... worn non-revealing clothes, leaving work earlier than usual, not wearing heels. And yet this person - you don't curse - still tries to assault you. Dropping everything in your hands, you put your full attention to getting the guy off of you.

"Aw, c'mon, miss. I'm just trying to walk you home... don't get so violent with me..." he reeked of alcohol and staggered, not loosening his grip on her.

"If you wanted to walk me home, you could do it without grabbing me so suddenly!" you retort as you dug your heel into the man's shoe. It would have hurt more if she was wearing actual heels, but today she was wearing flats. It didn't matter when she kicked him in his area, though. As he doubled over in pain, he muttered a few curse words under his breath.

She flipped her curled hair, picked up her belongings, and left the area, meeting Steve and Bucky in their usual meeting place.

"Hey, boys. How did it go?"

You knew that Steve has been trying to enter the army to join in the war by faking his resumè. He kept failing because of his medical conditions. Bucky had already been accepted and today was his last day, so they were all going to a festival being held nearby before he left. He was already dressed in his uniform, and Steve looked as if he had gotten into some trouble again. They began walking in the direction of the festivities, you remarking that your friends would meet them there. You weren't going to attend the festival, but had set the two boys up with a couple friends of hers and let them enjoy themselves.

"Well, I didn't get to see the movie. Some guy was being too loud and I called him out on it," replied Steve.

"Yeah, then I had to save him in an alley," continued Bucky.

"If I had that guy's body, I would be leaving with you," Steve pointed out.

Bucky agreed, and they split ways, the boys heading to the festival and you to your home.

"Bye Steve, bye Zima!" you waved. Zima had been a nickname for Bucky. He had helped out a little girl once from getting bullied and she told him, "Thank you, Zima." You teased him mercilessly about it, preferring to call him that from then on.

‐-------------------------

"Varian, stay with me!" you ordered as your best friend in your unit lay bleeding. You were out in the snow, fleeing from HYDRA troops. You knelt by his body as you exchanged your last words...

You took off your helmet, letting your hair fall. It had grown after you had cut it, returning to its normal length. It was time he knew. He deserved to.

"Always knew... you were..." he gasped out. His body shuddered one last time before falling deathly still, the wound in his abdomen still bleeding.

You bowed your head in respect for a few moments and closed his eyes. You wished he could have seen something else before he died. Instead of a war zone: his family and friends standing by him, the war already over. Or maybe no war at all. He should have had a wife, children, and grandchildren before he passed.

"Hey Shadow, we need to move, now!" said the girl you snuck in with, Lily. She was returning fire. You put your hair back up hastily in the helmet. Grabbing your gun, you both turned and began to run in the opposite direction when a storm of projectiles cascaded around you.

You should have been hit. You weren't.

But Lily was. And so was the rest of your fleeing unit.

‐-------------------------

"Extraordinary," breathed a man. He had a Russian accent, you believed. As you bleary opened your eyes, you found that you have been tied to a metal table in a very cluttered office. You couldn't see very well. You felt your hair against your neck and shoulders and realized your identity has most likely been exposed as someone not part of the regiment. You quietly lay there, soaking in information. The man with a Russian accent was Dr. Zola, and she was in a HYDRA base after they found her unconscious. Something about levitating. Something about a cube?