Chapter Two.

Tangerines are Mariposa's favorite fruit. She could eat them all day if she could. She loved the citrus taste, the color, and how she had a tree in her backyard. Most people didn't have the luxury, but the tree was planted when she was just a baby. The tree grew with her and stood up, flourishing as always with her. It was the year the tree grew ripe tangerines, and they hung delicately next to her all white gazebo. Mariposa has spent most of her time there since she was a child. She came here to escape most times and to avoid life outside of it.

Business dinners were never fun because it was nothing but white men smiling in her father's face, even though they were coming after his money. It was rare for a Cuban man who came from nothing to have so much money, but her father was a smart man and he knew better, but not as much as she thought he would.

Laughter was in the distance, and Mariposa looked over her shoulder as she sat on her pillow cushions with her legs crossed and her dress surrounding her. It was an all-white dress, it was frilled and flowy, showing her shoulders and it had white flower detailing. She had her hair in a neat low bun that took so much gel to hold down.

Mariposa stood up, and she turned around to see a bunch of people gathered around each other. Her father stood before them, a glass of wine in his hand, and he had a broad smile on his face. He was tall, with autumn brown skin, golden eyes, and jet black toned hair. He looked younger than his age, he was in his mid-forties and not a sign of aging anywhere. Her mother stood beside him, her arm draped around his free one and she had a neutral expression. She smiled for a little but it wasn't a genuine smile as they talked to her husband but didn't utter a word to her. It made Mariposa so mad because people would only talk to her father but not acknowledge her mother whatsoever. She looked just like Mariposa with a darker skin tone, same features, and same hair.

Seeing the people they were talking to, it was Eli's parents. Mr. Woodson and Mrs. Woodson who Mariposa hated so much because behind their smiles, their charming appearance, they were evil people and were coming for her father's money. It was so obvious and they kissed his ass so much that Mariposa would laugh about it because they looked so sorry just like their sorry excuse of a son.

Mariposa scoffed as she walked down the steps of her gazebo, she stomped over to her parents and the Woodson's. Mariposa comes on the side of her mother, her mother, Lana looks over at Mariposa, and Mariposa pouted slightly as she wraps her arm around her mother's arm and she leaned her cheek against her arm as she looks up at her. "When will this end?" Mariposa whispered to her and Lana palmed Mariposa's head gently. "Soon baby, soon." Lana whispered back with a meek smile.

Mr. Woodson looks at Mariposa and he smiles, his pearly white teeth and his oddly blue eyes make her stomach churn. "Mariposa, you look gorgeous this evening. Have you talked to my son Eli?" He asked her and Mariposa rolled her eyes as she tilted her head. The Woodson's had a little backup plan that if they weren't successful with her father then her son was the perfect plan B, which was trying to get into the family by trying to set up Mariposa with Eli. She knows, she sees right through them all.

"Why would I?" Mariposa retorted.

Floriano looked over at his daughter, he eyed her and Mariposa ignored his gaze. Mr. Woodson chuckles and he pats her father's shoulder. "It's alright, Fabio." He says assuring her father and Mariposa huffed out, she hated how her father had an alias, it just showed how ashamed he is of who they are. "It's Floriano, Floriano Ayala. It's not even that hard to remember," Mariposa hissed and Floriano let out a low grunt. "Mariposa, excuse yourself." He says and Mariposa's mouth falls open a little, she looks at her father because it was the first time he has dismissed her especially when she is doing something which is taking up for him.