Chapter Ten.

One thing that Mariposa was so happy about graduating and knowing that she won't have to deal with her racist peers and teachers anymore

One thing that Mariposa was so happy about graduating and knowing that she won't have to deal with her racist peers and teachers anymore. She didn't have to fake around her teachers because they would have done their hardest to make sure she didn't succeed and she can dislike her peers more openly than she was before. She sat down, her burgundy cap and gown were on and under the gown was a baby blue babydoll dress that was frilled at the sleeves and at the end of the dress.

Mariposa was valedictorian, so she could give a speech in front of her entire class. She wasn't nervous at all and, in fact; she was excited to give her speech. "I'm proud to call upon a student who has excelled ever since she stepped foot into our school, she had stayed in the top ten percent throughout her middle school, high school, and college life. Please welcome to the stage, Mariposa Ayala," Her chancellor announced, and Mariposa got up, she smiled as the entire stadium clapped for her.

Small chatters erupt when they see who she was, and some of the clappings died a little too early and Mariposa expected that. She didn't care because they weren't at a level and they were not the ones giving a speech amongst very important people.

Mariposa gets onto the stage, and she smiles as she looks at all the people that sat in the stadium. Her eyes scanned the audience, and she saw her father, mother, her aunt, and cousins. Then her eyes drifted further up the crowd to see Sanguk, Joey and Bogum waving and Sanguk was jumping up and down. The three men quickly make a big heart with their arms, making Mariposa's smile grow wider.

Mariposa exhales gently and she smiles as she looks at the rest of the audience. "Good afternoon, class of 1974, we did it," Mariposa started and the whole stadium began to clap, her classmates all jumped and cheered on each other. "These past couple of years seemed to go by quickly and I'm so glad that we are all safe, here, and ready to move onto our next phase in life. When I was young, I feared this day. I feared it because there would be no more pep rallies, no more games in the courtyard, and no more lock-ins. Those really made me feel like a kid, a young blood what the older generation would say," Mariposa laughs a little at the end. "But, I would like to say that I'm proud of everyone who came this far and I'm most of all proud of people who didn't. College is not for everyone and you're still smart and capable without it."

Mariposa bit her lip for a moment and she cleared her throat as her eyes began to water. "I will be honest, it was very difficult for me to get here. Being a black woman, we always have to work ten times harder than others. It doesn't really matter when it comes to your social status or how much money you have, things aren't ever that easy nor things will ever be handed to us. I want that to change and I want people to understand that if I were to prick my finger and you were to prick yours, we would bleed the same color. I personally faced many difficulties and have been facing to face with ignorance countless times. But, no matter how angered, vengeful I felt I always knew that I was so much more than what I was told, I deserve everything I desire. I was told by my mother.. whatever you give life, you will get back. I'm hopeful even though I was told I shouldn't but just know that everything comes to an end and new beginnings start. Congratulations class of 1974, let's start a new chapter," Mariposa finished and everyone starts clapping.