techno / denial

this takes place after Ranboo announces Tommy's death to the syndicate
-
wc: 486

Clang

Bright sparks danced off your steel blades as they clashed. Your eyelids felt heavy, your muscles painfully sore, and the calluses of your palms burned. You couldn't recall the last time you slept, and Techno had been relentless with your training recently.

You were violently shoved aback as Techno struck you to the outer ring of the arena, his eyes soulless and unfeeling behind his lusting blade.

Your body was weary from the constant training, and your mind could not function to save your life.

"Techno, wait!" you begged desperately.

Clash

He strikes your sword again, this time, with more strength than before. Dizzily, you stumbled back, almost tripping over your own two feet.

"Please! I can't do this anymore!"

He ignored your pitiful pleads.

"In battle, your opponent won't stop attacking just because you're tired. Fight back," Tehcnoblade snarled, not a touch of remorse in his voice.

Another metallic strike sliced through the air as Techno's blade met yours. You grunted, your jaw clenched as the two of you had a battle of strength behind your hilts. Your fingers cramped around the handle, your tight knuckles stiff like rusty hinges. The pain rang through your hands up to your arms.

Technoblade pushed past your block, and you could see his sword nearing your body. You tried to dodge his attack, but the fatigue in your muscles delayed your response.

You screamed out in pain as his blade gashed your shoulder before you could gain a few steps back.

"Fight back!" Technoblade barked.

You did not know how much longer your legs could hold yourself, nor your arms could hold the weight of your sword.

Growing concerned, Philza and Ranboo observed from a distance. Should they step in?

You winced as the hilt jerked harshly in your wrists. Your palms were hot with tender calluses and blisters, and your wrists, weak and brittle.

"Fight back, Tommy!" his voice thundered with vehemence.

Tommy? Isn't he...

Techno gave you no time to think, so you quickly set aside his mishap.

You held your sword the best you could against his strength, Techno pushing his weight upon you. Your knees buckled as you grasped both the hilt and blade of your sword to push against him, causing blood to ooze from your left palm.

The deep, red liquid stained your cheek as it dripped upon your skin. He peered over you with his sword in hand, his own shadow overcasting his face.

It was when you caught the shortest glimpse of his eyes, did you realize Techno was not in control of himself.

Your sword felt like it could shatter at any moment, yet you used every ounce of strength left to save  yourself.

"Techno, please... I'm so tired..."

"Techno! Enough!" Phil tore the blood-lusting pig away.

You dropped the sword to the ground; your own blood had colored it red. Breathing heavily, you fell limp to the hard floor, your conscious foggy.

Ranboo rushed to your much needed aid as Phil reprimanded Techno.

"They're weak!" Techno shoved Phil's hand off his shoulder. "If he's put in a fight, he'll be killed in seconds." He stormed off furiously.

He?

Realization hit you like a train.

After hearing about Tommy's death, Techno had subconsciously replaced you with the deceased boy in attempts to salvage his severe feeling of loss. You sympathized for your teacher, for his emotions often took control of his actions despite his nonchalant upfront.

Phil sighed as he approached you and Ranboo, reassuring you that Techno was just in a bad mood.

It was more than that though, but Phil didn't want to worry you. Or he didn't want you to know.

Ranboo finished sanitizing and bandaging your wounds as you gratefully thanked him; yet you couldn't help but wonder about Techno.

Beneath his shallow façade, he really did miss Tommy.