Year 2 VI

After the Renner incident, a few weeks had passed and it seemed like things had been getting back on track. James and his gang of Marauders had upped their pranking and it seemed like when they began pranking other groups, their creativity levels had gone through the roof. It finally felt like everybody was enjoying the harmless, fun pranks. Even the Slytherins seemed to let out a sigh of relief as they realized that they weren't the only targets anymore and could enjoy watching others get pranked too.

Various classes, houses, years, and floors got pranked and so far, nobody seemed to complain. It was just a minor inconvenience that brightened other people's day (and got them a free pass out of class once in a while).

Everyday discussions over dinner would usually be about who the Marauders would prank next and if they would be caught or not. They were innocent until proven guilty, of course. But everyone, including the professors, knew it was them.

Maybe it was just Lily's wishful thinking, but she thought she noticed a decrease in Slytherin bullying as well. Maybe the Slytherins had changed as well, she hoped.

Of course she had jinxed it, because the very next day she thought that, she was cornered by a Slytherin. Luckily, she was prepared and had a few jinxes up her sleeve just in case.

She had finished all her classes that evening and was ready to walk to dinner when she was stuck in a dark, secluded hallway with a Slytherin. The same one that taunted her the year before.

"Hey, mudblood," Nott called out from behind her. It looked like he was quietly lurking in a dark corner, like a hungry beast waiting for its prey.

Lily clutched her books and walked faster, her heart pounding in her chest.

"Stop!" the bully commanded.

She didn't know why she did and every inch of her wanted to keep moving, but she stopped. She didn't want to run away anymore. She didn't want to apologize anymore.

She wanted to be brave.

She turned around so quickly, even the Slytherin took a small step back in surprise.

"What?" she harshly bit out.

Nott quickly got back his resolve and sneered, "Was that some anger I heard, little mudblood? I don't really appreciate that tone."

He walked closer and Lily could feel her throat closing up and all that bravery she had a second ago was slowly draining. She still had her books clutched tightly in her hands and her wand hidden there too, but her hands were so clammy she thought if she moved, she would drop it.

So much for all the hexes, charms, and jinxes she learned, Lily thought to herself.

"You know," Nott said as he stood closely in front of her, she could smell some alcohol off his breath, "I never got to teach you that lesson for mouthing off to me that other year. I know you apologized, but, uh, I never got the feeling you meant it. You know what I mean?"

Lily tried to get her hand to move, her feet to move. Anything. Just run away, her brain screamed.

Suddenly, there was a sound of a voice clearing its throat. Lily glanced up to see it was James Potter leaning against the side of the hallway entrance watching the scene enfold.

"Potter," Nott snarled, "What are you doing here? Want to start a fight? Cause I have some spells that'll make you feel some real pain," he held up his wand and waved it a little as he straggled to the side in his drunken state.

"I was considering it," James said, coolly, "But I see Evans, here, has it all under control and she's no damsel in distress."

"This one?" Nott questioned, pointing at Lily. "She's so scared, look at her. Nothing but dirty, sniveling mudblood is all she is."

James seemed to have had enough of intoxicated Nott and made his way towards him, but before he had the chance, Lily used all the strength she had and used all her books to WHACK Nott right in the face, sending him straight to the hard ground of Hogwarts castle.

"Don't ever call me mudblood ever again," Lily growled. "Ever."

Nott looked up at Lily and held his cheek, which was starting to greatly bruise in all shades of red; there was true fear in his eyes. Lily must have looked terrifying for an upper classman to look at her with such terror.

"Do I make myself clear?" Lily asked.

Nott was still silent.

"Do I?" she asked again, this time louder.

Nott nodded vigorously.

Lily smiled, a hard glint in her eye. "Good. Now apologize," she demanded.

"What?" Nott asked hoarsely. Even James looked at her with surprise.

"You heard me," Lily said. "Apologize for calling me a 'mudblood'."

Nott stayed silence, the fear slowly leaving him and being replaced with a seething hatred once more.

Lily crouched down and looked him straight in the eye, her wand held firmly in her grasp. "Because if you don't," she continued, "I have some spells that'll make you feel some real pain."

Nott's eyes widened at Lily's repeat of the words he had said before. "I-I'm sorry."

Now Lily relaxed, feeling she had full control of the situation.

"Now I'm going to leave. But I do hope you learned your lesson because I don't ever want to see your ugly face even look in my direction ever again. Goodbye now."

And she stood up, gathered her books, and walked away, James following closely behind, his mouth hanging slightly open in mesmerized awe.

Then from behind the two of them came a loud, "DIFFIN—"

But Lily had been practicing her spells and was prepared. She quickly turned and cast a shield charm and then a bat boogey hex.

"Volatilis Lutum!" Lily exclaimed while at the same time James yelled, "Run!"

And he and Lily took off before Nott could retaliate and get rid of the hex.

Turning through different hallways and corridors, James and Lily made sure they were a good distance away before leaning against a wall to catch their breath.

Then, Lily burst out laughing. James looked at her in surprise, his hands still on his knees as he took in her ecstatic form. And then he burst out laughing too.