Wattpad Original
There are 14 more free parts

03. The Ghost of My Past

For over eight years, I've been wondering if I will ever see the pair of those emerald irises again before I die. Every time I met a guy with green eyes, my heart skipped a beat with anticipation. Still, none of them were the ones I saw at that frat party. Sandy and Sophie, my sister, always emphasize that I was drunk that night, and that my memory of Chloe's father is unreliable. But I know better. I still remember the exact shade of green they were and how intense his eyes were when he looked at me. It felt like he was piercing me and searching for my soul.

Just like what's happening right now.

Tearing my eyes from him, I look down and stare at my beige shoes as if they become the most interesting objects to observe on earth. Mr. Tan's voice is muffled by the dull thumping sound in my ears as my heart beats so hard against my chest.

This can't be true. He can't be him. This is just one of those moments where I get caught up in the prospect of meeting the ghost of my past. This is just like every other day when I bumped into a pair of green eyes. They are everywhere, aren't they?

Also, judging from his age, which is probably thirty-five or thirty-six now, he must have been around twenty-seven at the time I slept with Chloe's father. He was a bit too old to lurk around a wild frat party, wasn't he? Then no, he can't be him. But why can't I shake away the thought of him being connected to Chloe? Is it because I've seen him somewhere online that my mind plays tricks on me? Is it because of the familiarity?

The familiarity.

A realization dawns on me like a bucket of cold water. No, it's not because I've seen his picture somewhere before orientation week. It's because I see a glimpse of him every day through my daughter's face. The resemblance between Chloe to him is undeniable. Those eyes. That nose. Those lips.

No. No. No.

This is just a coincidence.

This is just one of those typical days. Tomorrow, I will bump into another man with a pair of piercing emerald-green eyes that throws me back to the memory of that party. Because they are everywhere. Yes, Chloe's father is everywhere but here.

I've been sucked in by my thoughts when Gina pokes my waist with her elbow softly. I instantly turn my head to her but before I open my mouth to ask, I feel pairs of eyes on me. Scratch that. All eyes in this freaking meeting room are on me right now. Shit. What have I missed?

"It's your turn to introduce yourself," Gina whispers in my ear.

I nod and clear my throat while my brain digs into the lines I was practicing during my shower and my trip to work. Taking a deep breath, I force myself to make eye contact with everyone in the room, except Mr. Knight whose eyes are boring into mine now.

"Good morning, everyone. I'm Charlotte Garnett, but you can call me Charlie or Char; I will respond to either of them." I flash them a smile which I hope doesn't come off as a nervous wince. "My educational background is in business management, and I spent my last five years working in the construction industry. I was an executive assistant for a couple of years to start with, then I began my career in marketing and sales from there. And now, here I am. It's an honor to be given this opportunity and be a part of your respectful team. Your support and guidance will be very much appreciated."

My introduction ends with applause from my new colleagues, forcing me to push my earlier internal debate to the back of my mind.