Thirty-Seven vol.2

In the dead of the night, as Rose's heart ignited with a quietly building flame—a desire to reach higher heights of strength to protect a future unknown to her, to safeguard a total freedom she was set on earning—her ears twitched. She turned to the apartment's door and, a moment later, the sound of knocking rang. Rose squinted, hearing the shuffling of feet outside in the night; though extremely light, as if the person was used to carefully watching their steps.

'Someone well-trained,' She thought as she walked to the door, 'But who comes knocking in the middle of the night when most should be asleep? The only way this makes sense is if it's someone who knows I'm here. . .that I'm a homunculus that doesn't sleep. . .'

They hadn't used the doorbell either, so they came in secrecy with the intention of meeting her and only her.

She reached the door.

"Who is it?" She asked.

"Shana Striker." The voice of the girl she knew as a Reaper paused. "I'm not here to harm or capture you. In fact, I've got something urgent to talk to you about. Something I must do before my next move."

Rose was surprised. How did the girl find her? What was she doing here? She took a step from the door as <Igris> appeared in her grasp.

"To be fair." There was a chuckle. "I understand it seems suspicious, doesn't it?"

The girl was adept, she could tell Rose had stepped away in caution.

"It does," Rose replied, her blade lit with orange flames.

"Honestly this reminds me of last time, we were both way too tense when we first met, which was mostly my fault." There was a sigh. "Think about it. If I really wanted to capture or kill you, I could just as easily break in and disable you like before, no?"

Rose shrugged. "You might have a harder time doing that now. I'm stronger than before."

"Oh? Now that sounds interesting." The girl didn't sound particularly surprised. "I hope you've been living instead of only training though."

". . ."

Rose opened the door.

Shana Striker stood outside the apartment, her face aloof but carefree as her brown hair blew in the night's wind. She was dressed in a familiar spandex of black--a tight one piece that reached her thighs and neck--almost blending into the atmosphere, save for the glimmer of her mechanical right arm, and the weapons attached to her leg and clipped onto her back. Yet, she was missing her blue jacket, missing the insignia unique to a Reaper.

"It's good to see you again, alive and well," The girl smiled softly, hazel eyes staring down at Rose.

Rose looked her over. There were several holes in her attire that were visibly repairing themselves. Slow, but noticeable. A part of her hair looked as if it had been sliced by blades, and there was a noticeable scar at the nape of her neck. Most telling, however.  . .

"You're limping," She muttered as her sword disappeared from her hand and Shana stepped into the apartment, closing the door. "Injured?"

"I've gotten rusty fighting without a fighter jet, but I should be good in a bit," Shana laughed and sat herself down, "I just finished fending off an attempt on my life by both the army and an Urban Reaper."

Rose sat next to her. "How did you find me?"

The mechanical arm of the girl moved and took out a cube of metal from a satchel strapped around her waist. She tapped the top surface thrice with her her left hand and the thing glowed blue.