Forty-Two vol.2

As she was rarely without practice, it came much easier this time. Rose clung onto the experience of her first training, as fresh as the day it occurred, and latched onto the vibrating hum of mana around her, listening for that rumble of challenge that aligned with her element. Then, 20 seconds later, lightning danced between her outstretched palms.

She stared at the sparkling bolts, frizzing in the air and recognized that, this time, they did not try and fry her. The element was for those born to overcome challenges, and she had already tamed its first hurdle. As long as she made no changes to their path, motion, nor intensity, they remained stable under her control.

Yet, nothing in the world was stagnant. Not least her wish for strength and understanding.

"Try it," Lilias's voice came behind her.

Though the explicit motion wasn't needed, Rose held the element in one hand before thrusting it forward.

The flash of white lightning grew in intensity, simmered, and flew forward in a single bolt. It crackled through the air with a rumble, then sparked into branches of electricity. Though beautiful to watch, the result was nothing more than a thin, miniscule attack with only enough might to shock and stumble an opponent for perhaps less than a second, and barely any distance crossed.

"A cast time of 10 seconds," Lilias muttered behind her, "Excellent for a first try."

Rose dragged her focus back, releasing a sigh along with the tension in her form. Merely doing that had taken her full concentration.

"As excellent as it is, it's currently useless in battle," She said as she glanced at the tips of her fingers. They were fried, skin scorched with burns, and blood leaking from some. Naturally, they were already visibly healing. 'Well, there's no pressure. I'm progressing rather well.' She smiled, almost grinning at that thought.

At one point, merely calling it had taken her minutes. At one point, trying to control it had sent it crawling up her arms. Now, she only had step by steps to go.

"Mhmm, but nothing some practicing can't fix," Lilias said. "All you have to do is continue trying to challenge it. Control its intensity. Control its radius. Control its range. And control its chaotic nature."

Rose laughed at her last words. "I don't think it wants to be controlled to that degree."

Based on her past memories, and the new experiences, she knew lightning was an element which would always have chaos in its form. Even now, though she had meant only to release a single straight bolt, it had spasmed into branching paths, as if mocking her attempt.

Then she stood back up.

"Are we going to the next floor now?" Lilias asked.

Rose shook her head. "No, not yet."

She walked over, crossing the white room to an Elsa who was deep within her studying, eyes glued upon her pad's interface, murmuring away.

"Could you teach me boxing?" Rose asked.

The slum-born girl blinked her eyes as she looked up.

Elsa raised a brow., the screen of her pad disappearing "Say what now?"

"I want you to teach me the basics of boxing."

"I don't know man. . .I'm not a master at it or anything," The girl murmured. "You know I just learned by fighting in the slums, right?"

Rose nodded. "That's fine. I still want you to teach me."

Elsa felt incredulous at that resolute statement. Her? Teaching rose? To her, there were far better ways to learn. If she wasn't mistaken, in Alos, there were a shit ton of dojos all around where anyone could learn to wield weapons as well as martial arts. Biting down her insecurities a bit, she was also a level-headed individual. If Rose wanted to learn from her, so be it.