1.5 || That Wasn't So Bad

~

"What's your name?" This was the most popular question, amongst the 1A students, I received that morning - along with the classmates wondering where I moved from. The main three people crowded around my desk were three girls, two of which I recognized as the pink freckled girl from this morning and the raven-haired girl who sat in front of my desk. The one I didn't recognize was a shorter girl with green hair, strongly resembling a frog person. I tried speaking over the abundance of voices but they all drowned out my voice collectively. "Stop talking over her," Kirishima spoke out. Silently thanking him, I began introducing myself to the three and anyone who watched/ listened from the sides.

"My name is Malaika LeAnne Root. I'm 15 years old and I moved here from the United States with my mom," I smiled out and fiddled nervously with my bracelet.

"That's so cool!" The pink girl beamed along with a subtle nod from the ravenette. The girl with green hair shook her head as she introduced herself followed by her friends. "It's nice to meet you, Root. My name is Asui Tsuyu but please call me Tsu. This is Jirou Kyouka," she jesters the girl sitting directly in front of me at her desk, "and this is Ashido Mina." The pink girl, again, gives me a toothy grin.

"It's nice to meet you all," I giggle out and relax my tense hands on the desk, "And please, just call me Malaika. I'm not quite used to people using my surname yet."

The three girls and I engaged in small talk as I learned about the basic schedule of Class 1A and the different school sectors. In all, there are three classes, years, in UA high. Students are separated based on their abilities into specific Departments and Classes. Different courses for year one go for A-J which are Hero, Support, General Studies, and Management courses.

The new coming sports festival will take place 2 weeks from today, meaning, I have 2 weeks to improve my quirk. Onlookers wouldn't like it if I overused my wings and abused that power, I'll strive to do my best without them until it's a necessity.

The bell rang throughout the classroom as Mina insisted on showing me to all our classes - I didn't complain one bit. She's an enthusiastic and friendly girl, everyone around her would wear a smile; I could see myself being good friends with her. I was once that bubbly too. One thing about Mina that piqued my interest was her eyes - at first, I was afraid of them. They were black as empty abysses but the bright yellow irises brought them to life. All of Class 1A had the same schedule with differing seats in all classes and hero course classes were fairly close together which I surely appreciated. Together, Mina and I walked to lunch where she complained how Lunch Rush was out sick today. We grabbed our trays as she once again grabbed hold of my inner elbows and quickly led me to a table of students - swiftly dodging any others on the way there.

"Oh, hey Malaika!" Kirishima tapped the seat between him and the Porcupine. I nod and sit down, appreciating his kindness towards me. Mina made herself comfortable in the seat across from me and didn't waste any time digging into the food she had been complaining about earlier. The people sitting at the table, whom I learned the names from Mina, were Denki Kaminari, Hanta Sero, Eijiro Kirishima, and last but definitely not least Katsuki Bakugo. To my surprise, Bakugo didn't scream in protest when I sat beside him. He seemed to be focused on something else with his red earbuds shoved into his ears.

I introduced myself once again to the group, just in case they didn't know, and went to eat my small meal.

"Oh my gosh, this is so good," I all but whimper when the food hits my tongue. Sero laughs and I realize I didn't say that in my head. "What? They don't have uh.." he took a glance at my lunch tray, " Rice, vegetables, and chicken at your school?" He laughed before spooning a large amount of rice into his mouth and almost choking.