1.11 || You Aren't Him

~

Only a couple of minutes later, I woke up on my own in the bright room. The burns which were littered on my backside have disappeared completely; the only thing left is the constant ache from my nonexistent wings. My eyes wandered the room, no longer feeling the fatigue from only minutes ago.

My feet, without my knowledge, have been gently kicking at the pillow of the boring hospital bed. There's a door that I could only assume leads to the bathroom, on the wall parallel to me.

Casually, I rose from the bed and opened the door to the bathroom. I almost cried when I saw the shower, towels, soap, and deodorant all placed in the bathroom as if they were mandatory.

I silently thanked the Sports Festival's huge budget and closed the door shut behind me, making sure to lock it. The discomfort in my back was nothing compared to the relief of warm water meeting my skin.

I let the vapor give my mess of hair some moisture to lay it down before hopping out of the shower and slathering on a generous layer of deodorant. Throwing back on my sweaty and half-burnt uniform, I walked out the steamed-filled bathroom only to see a classmate of mine sitting in the chair Iida sat in only moments ago.

"Hey, Todoroki! I wasn't expecting- Are you okay?" My feet hurried to stand in front of the boy - obviously tormented. I could feel deep-rooted despair by simply looking at him.

His head hung low, hair creating a shadow masking his eyes. The boy seemed to be glaring at his left hand, "I apologize for my intrusion. You should be resting now."

"What's wrong with your hand, Todoroki?" I asked worriedly, crouching down in front of him in an attempt to make eye contact, "Did you get hurt?"

His scoff caught me off guard and almost made me flinch. It was dry and morbid, "I was overwhelmed. It made me break a promise I made to myself a long time ago."

I was about to reassure him that he wasn't alone until he met my eyes. His eyes were hard with seriousness as he continued to name off his teammates.

"None of them felt it. At that moment, I was the only one who could sense something... off. Similar to when encountering Dark Shadow but different in that I could only sense you," I tilted my head and decided to sit on the edge of the hospital bed, noticing this might be a long conversation. His eyes never left mine as he asked, "Root, how many quirks do you have?"

"Only one...." I was a bit confused, "Why would you ask something like that?"

"I can't put my finger on it, Root. Something was there —I'm sure of it— something dark," his eyes drifted back to his left hand as he took a shaky breath, "What I'm trying to say is, it scared me. So much so that I used my left side... on you."

"Todoroki, I only have one quirk. It's called 'Angel', it grants comfort and healing," the two words came out stressed for clearance, "There's nothing dark about that."

"I understand. Have you given any thought to your wings? Like if they're a part of 'Angel' or something completely independent?"

"I haven't looked too much into it. They're just here and I've never felt anything dark from them. Why're you trying to figure me out when there's nothing more to look into..?" I looked down at my lap feeling the absence of my wings a bit more, they were my comfort.

"May I ask, are you close with your family?" I froze. My throat went dry as my mind flooded with bad memories. Family? The only one I had left was my mom and I only see her on occasion. "I- I live with my mother and that's it," I answered, wanting to get the conversation over with.