Chapter 5

The ride going back to the complex was, so far, really awkward. Yujin and I just sat in silence, acknowledging each other's presence, but not trying to interact. Looking over at her, she was taking glances at me while pretending to be on her phone. I kept my eyes staring out the window, hoping to avoid an awkward conversation.

"So, you like Minju?" Yujin asked suddenly, breaking the silence.

"Huh?" I quickly turned my head to face her. "What kind of a question is that?"

"A normal one," she casually answered. "So, do you?"

"No?" I said, incredibly confused. "As far as I'm concerned, she's just a fr—"

"You're lying," she interrupted, moving closer to me. 

Her scowling face inched closer and closer to mine as she stared into my eyes, intimidating me.

"What is happening?" I whispered.

My eyes darted around the van, eventually landing on her manager, asking for help. What I got, however, was the sight of the manager holding in her laughter at my situation.

My eyes landed back on Yujin, who was now also trying to hold in her laughter. A sign that made me calm down, she was just messing with me.

"Are you done?" I asked, my flushed face going back to normal.

"Yeah." She chuckled, sitting back down. "Sorry about that, it's just a little scare I do to Minju-unnie's guy friends."

"It's fine... I guess." I yawned. "Hey, what year were you born again?"

"2003. You?"

"2002, though you don't need to call me oppa. I don't really mind."

"Okay then, suit yourself... oppa." She grinned.

I couldn't tell if I was going to enjoy her company, or if she would be getting on my nerves all year, but I had to admit she had a lot of energy. 

"How long did you train for? Before IZ*ONE and all."

"I guess, a little over a year? It didn't take much time before I was set to go compete."

"A year? that's fast, you must be really talented then, huh?"

"Maybe, maybe not." She smiled. "How about you?"

I looked out the window, trying to recall. "I guess... it was around three years?"

"Three years? That's a lot of experience. Why did you leave anyway?"

It was a surprising question, though I guess someone would have asked eventually. I wasn't willing to tell the whole truth, so she would have to do with half-truths instead.

"I just felt like I was wasting my childhood, I guess. I wouldn't debut until I was older, and I was spending most of my time doing nothing but training."

Silence followed while Yujin sat in thought.

"I get that," she replied. "there were days that I felt like I wasn't really living at all too. So you don't regret leaving?"

I shook my head. "Not one bit. That year I spent finishing high school made me realize how much I missed out on. The idol life isn't for me, and I'm only back cause I promised to try and give it another shot."

She nodded her head in understanding. "You know what? You're a pretty cool guy, Y/N. I won't bother you even if you do like Minju."

"Oh come on, I thought we were done with that," I whined, leaning my head back onto the seat.