Chapter 4 - Index Cards

For my first book, Accidental Quest, I had around 15 index cards with separate scenes written on top and the details in bullets below. I didn't mix them up.

If you haven't read the book yet, you can find the book in my library. Just go to my profile and find the book to start reading it today. 

I have to separate each scene to avoid problems with arranging which scene goes next

I have to separate each scene to avoid problems with arranging which scene goes next. In each index card, I also place the dialogue or at least the key points of what the character/s will say in a conversation.

When you're a bit techie, you can use novel writing apps like Scrivener or Dabble Writer, which I love than the former.

I used Dabble in my novels since I first knew it on NaNoWriMo 2018. It's one of the sponsors and I immediately checked the app out.

What so cool about this application is Jacob, the creator of this wonderful writing software, is generous enough to give a 50% discount to me when I reached the minimum 50,000-word count for the annual writing event. 

Pro Tip: The important thing here is as an author, you can imagine which scenes or what kinds of scenes you'd like to incorporate in your story

Pro Tip: The important thing here is as an author, you can imagine which scenes or what kinds of scenes you'd like to incorporate in your story. However, if you don't keep this strategy, you'll get lost eventually.

I've been there and it was my mistake. I thought that avoiding this step will make my writing easier and faster only to find out it wasn't.

Assignment: 

I would like you to have a set of index cards with you and write the scenes you want to include in your book. It doesn't have to be in order. However, it should be as detailed as you can. 

You may utilize bullet journaling techniques if you're trying to save your pen ink by using bullets to detail each scene. :) 

About the author:

Mecyll Gaspary is a writer and author of several Wattpad books in English that gained 100K+ reads, namely, "Accidental Quest," "The Rival," and "30 Days with Mr. Weirdo" in the Filipino language.

She is also an independent author and publisher and owns companies namely, MG Consulting for her freelance writing business and MG Publications as a self-publisher. She actively writes on her website at www.mgaspary.com.