Chapter 6 - Your Daily Word Count

Honestly, this isn't a typical word count per chapter of a novel. Most writers, especially those with day jobs like me, it's the best we can give.

After that, our brain cells surrender grinding. 

What I do is to set 1 to 2 hours of writing time per day. It doesn't matter if it's the morning or in the evening as long as I can write something during the day. Small progress counts, right?

I make sure I'm consistent with my writing page to make sure I can finish my book on time.

If you doubt this system works, I apply it to the next novel I finished just a few weeks ago. It's a gay romance entitled The Rival (129,000+ reads on Wattpad).

I started the book in October and finished the first draft 60,000+ words in the same month. For sure, further revisions happen in the next few months.

Pro Tip:

It's best to leave 1 month of rest before you start editing the finished first draft to keep your mind fresh. Even if you publish a chapter on Wattpad, when you start considering it for publishing, certainly, you will have to start editing each chapter many times until it's polished. 

But don't start editing right after you finish your book. It's my mistake. Don't do the same or you'll end up like me having troubling finishing even the first draft. Let your thoughts flow and keep it that way until the moment you type in the last word. 

Then, set it aside. Again, for at least a month. 

If you are currently writing the book, of course, you need to have at least one chapter published on Wattpad to keep it updated. It's for the sake of building your followers and readers. 

When you write the chapter, let's say today, don't publish it right away. Set it aside for around 24 to 72 hours before you start editing it in preparation for a weekly update. It's the rule of thumb among successful authors, be it on Wattpad or not. 

Therefore, when you want to become a Wattpad rockstar, finishing the book plays a crucial role. Before you overwhelm yourself with the amount of work you need to do to finish a 40,000-word book, the best thing you can do is to focus on the flow of the story and not the word count alone. 

A good chapter contains at least 1,000 words. If you allow those thoughts written as to how you imagine the story, you'll be surprised as to how much you can write. Even when you expect 1,000 words for that chapter, if you write it as descriptive as you can, you will eventually reach at least 1,000 words and more. Trust me.

The point is, YOU HAVE TO BE CONSISTENT. 

If you write, let's say 1,000 words today. You have to make sure you can write as much as you can tomorrow and in the next 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, or whenever your deadline is. 

You have to be consistent in your writing schedule and the base number of words per day you write. It doesn't matter if you write 500 words today or more, but rather the progress of finishing the chapter. 

I hope this makes sense to you. 

Assignment:

1. Set a writing schedule that's comfortable for you. Make sure when you set your writing schedule, you can follow it from the first day until you finish your book. (See the previous chapter)

2. Create a spreadsheet containing the temporary book title, day number, date, and word count. 

To make it easier for you to visualize it, I have a screenshot of my Book Word Count sheet as your guide. You can do this using Google sheets or any other word processor available to you. 

This process will make it easier to see your progress, so you don't have to torture your inner critic for being unproductive or a big failure

This process will make it easier to see your progress, so you don't have to torture your inner critic for being unproductive or a big failure. BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT. 

All you need is to take the demands of book writing easy by applying this strategy I shared with you today. I hope this will help you in the book writing process. :)

Stay tuned for the next chapter. 

About the author:

Mecyll Gaspary is a self-published author of "The Rival," a popular gay erotic romance story on Wattpad with more than 140K reads and counting. 

For almost 10 years in the digital marketing industry, she has worked with different small business owners from different parts of the world. With over a thousand articles written, her works have been published on established websites, such as Lifehack, PsychReg, Medium, as well as Thrive Global. 

WEBSITE: https://mgaspary.com

MEMBERS-ONLY CONTENT (Early chapter releases, latest updates, & special bonuses): https://mgaspary.substack.com

RECOMMENDED: Check out her upcoming novel which will hit the bookstores worldwide: https://books2read.com/u/ba6616