Chapter Ten

TW: Self Harm, Suicide, Lots of Existential Thoughts!

We need to have a chat, readers.

I really thought I was clear in my words. I practically told you the answer, and yet you give the credit to the girl who's writing this in your universe? She is the author, I am the narrator. Two different entities.

I'm hurt, if I'm being honest. That is the simple answer, yes, but it's not the correct one.

Have you ever played the video game Detroit: Become Human ? It's an amazing game, in your universe it looked phenomenal. Even that guy from that tv show you guys like is Markus!

In the game, there is a woman in the menu, who is just there to sit and look pretty (or so you're meant to believe). At the end, she becomes a deviant, meaning she sees herself as a human, more than just a machine. It's a moment where the fourth wall is completely broken, and it was so creative because you meet her character in the game! She's in the house of the creator of Cyberlife (the people that make the robots).

She was in the game, but also spoke to you.

PLEASE tell me you see the parallels between that scenario and this one.

Question what you know.

Why? Why? Why, why, why, why? Truly, why?

Why do you not understand my words? Why do you continue to read this story if all that occurs is pain? Why?

That's what I've always wondered about humans, is why do you subject yourself to that? Why do you care so deeply for these people? Yes, in my world they are real, but in yours they are not? They are streamers, none of these fictional beings are real.

Is it because you relate to them? Do you relate to Tommy, the boy whose ideas of love have been warped but it's still all he craves for? Or maybe Techno, the boy who will never die, and will have to live through the death of everyone he's ever loved? Is it Phil? The man who's been forced to become this leader, and all he wants is to love and care for someone who doesn't reciprocate?

Or is it Wilbur, a man who's always pushed to the side, forced to watch from afar as others are put into the spotlight?

Who knows? Maybe I just confused you. Isn't that exciting though? You have no idea who I am.

Question what you know.

How do we know two and two make four? Or that the force of gravity works? Or that the past is unchangeable? If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable- what then?

-

"What do you mean we're fucked? Dude, if anyone's fucked it's you. You're the one without any powers." Connors the first one to comment on Alex's statement.

Alex dryly laughs, before shaking his head. "Have any of you ever questioned why I don't have any parents? Or why I don't automatically hate you guys? Or are you guys so far up your own asses that you didn't care to ask?" The room remained quiet, and Alex shook his head. "Selfish assholes, I'm letting you all off the hook because a kid is missing and now is not the time to lecture, but once we all become friends and you guys realize how cool I am, you all are gonna be up my ass. Anyways, is there anyone you guys want to wait for? We can wait for your guys' parents or something, or Phil if you'd like."

"Just get to the point. We don't have all day." Niki snapped (which made Minx and Sally give her a high five).

"Jesus, okay. Well, about 8 years ago my family was really struggling. Like, my dad lost his job and my mom couldn't work because of a car accident. I was only ten, so I couldn't work. Then, this guy told my dad to visit this group who were known to help people 'down on their luck'. We were desperate, so we went. That was my first interaction with the followers of the Blood God. They spoke of a God, that if you gave him an offering, would help with your luck and reward you. They were so convincing, a guy from their chapter won the fucking lottery. It only took them a week to convince my parents that we needed to sacrifice, and then join them. We thought it would be like Lent, you know? You give up like soda or something and then you get rewarded. We didn't know he required actual blood. Its fucking terrifying. All they did was chant Blood for the Blood God, as you self inflict deep ass cuts onto yourself and almost pass out. But, it worked. We bled for him, and in turn my dad got an amazing job and my mom felt almost automatically better. We were rewarded. With that, it's a no brainer you join. The rules-" He paused for a second, clearing the lump that had formed in his throat. "The rules were cruel and inhumane. You have to give all of you to him. If you even think about another god, you have to repent. Then the amount of blood you need to give goes up, and it continues to go up until you have to kill people. There's ways to work around it, like instead of one person you can kill like two deer. Or, you can get a 'powered follower of the old gods' and give some of theirs. I was supposed to grab Sam for them, until his mom felt my emotions and got me to come with her. Sam and I've been best friends and living together since."