Chapter 20 - Alone Again

"You've gone too far this time, Edward."

"I disagree." He replied, eyes fixed on the detective, who refused to face him. She was out of breath and tired, that much was clear. Ed had seen her exhaustion earlier in her apartment, she needed rest.

"I could've killed Jim and Harvey. For me, for a morally functioning person, that's too far. If you let me walk out of here and we can leave each other alone as much as possible." Kit's voice shakes slightly. She's still in shock. Unsure if she has control over her own body.

Edward paused for a moment. The rivalry was invigorating for him and he didn't want Katherine to give up on it.

"Detective, are you alright?" Oswald asked, tilting his head to get a better look at her face.

"I'm fine. Could you all stop causing grief long enough for this to be over? I'm tired." She really was. Her voice was different, lower and less calculated as before. They say there's no rest for the wicked, but in this case there was just no rest for Kit. Even when her shifts were over, there was a chance she would get a phone call and be back at her desk within an hour.

Oswald was the first to take pity on her. She didn't expect the same sympathy from Nygma.
Kit just stood there, unblinking. This was probably another one of The Penguin's properties but it was much larger than the one she had interviewed him at, a while ago. It was slightly more old-fashioned and was not very well lit. That only added to her unease, as she stood in the dim room.

"Obviously. You're in desperate need of rest." Edward's voice came again.

"I've been trying."

"Liar. You've been overworking. After only three days of sleep deprivation, the mind begins to hallucinate. If you don't sleep, how can you possibly hope to beat me?"

She really had to stop herself from rearing back and swinging for him. It would be pointless to start reacting so recklessly. Kit just wanted to explode with frustration, it didn't matter how professional she should have been.

"I already did! You're meant to be in Arkham."

"You cannot blame me for not wanting to stay in the loony bin. It was never going to be that easy. Surely you knew I'd find my way out-"

"I'm holding a gun, may I remind you."
She was. Kit still held the warm gun in her hand and didn't plan on putting it down just yet.

The Riddler didn't reply. He found her even more difficult to read when she was ever so slightly off the rails. Kit seeming so outwardly dangerous was something new to witness, as it almost felt wrong, for her to be so blunt. The detective was polite and agreeable, this was a side of her few had the displeasure of seeing. Then again, she was always dangerous to some extent.

"Edward, just let her go home-" Oswald also sounded like he'd had enough of this stupid back and forth.

"She's not going anywhere."

That was extremely ominous.

"It's clear the good detective needs a break from your incessant torment." The Penguin's voice was sharp every time he addressed his old friend. He didn't feel the need to look at him in that moment, however.

"Oswald, you're lucky to still be alive, you should get out while you can." He growled.

"How generous. Your attentions towards Kit have made you so very patient, Ed. Though I can't imagine your intentions are good. You don't still plan on murdering her, do you? You have a tendency, dont you-" The taunt went on.

"I'm not going to kill her."

The Penguin didn't feel the need to hold back anymore, especially when it came to Edward. Oswald wasn't a tolerant person but his old friend tested his patience just as much as he always had. The likelihood of Edward killing him was very slim these days, so there was no need to mince his words.