Chapter 12 - Our City

"So he actually did try to kill you?"

"I'm pretty sure he was going to, yes." Kit rested her head against the window of the car belonging to a man who'd kidnapped her not even an hour ago and was now taking her home.

It was early in the morning now, the sun was trying to push past the clouds, but the greyness of Gotham overwhelmed it too much. 4:30am. You'd think it would be quieter out. But that city wouldn't be quiet unless you burnt it to the ground. And people had. People would be going to work, starting their days, walking their dogs soon. And Kit was here, back in the same car with the same criminal that forced her into it. What a way to greet a brand new day.

"You ought to count your lucky stars that I'm a loudmouth! I got a call from Penguin pretty much as soon as I dropped you off, might've let something slip." Zsasz shrugged.

Wait a second.

"You told Oswald to turn up at Nygma's murder house?" She whipped her head round to look at the assassin, who what is far too busy weaving in and out of traffic and violating road laws to notice. Even if it was unintentional, that was what saved her life today. But Zsasz just kept on playing dodgems and moved the conversation along. Kit would just have to keep that in mind.

"Hm kinda. I just told him what Nygma told me and that was enough. They know each other too well. It's creepy. So, why did he want to kill you anyway?"

If anyone could sound blasé when they talked about murder, it was Victor. He had might as well have asked where she shopped for her groceries or if she'd been abroad recently. But no, it was 'why did the schizophrenic nut job put a gun to your head?', which sounded like the set up to the worst joke in the world.

"Because he's a murderer? I don't know, Victor, I'm just as in the dark as you are." She sighed and rubbed her forehead.

Victor chuckled in response.

"Oh no, you're not getting out of this one easily. I want all the details," He glanced at the woman next to him, noticing her melancholy expression. She had been looking out of the window but turned her face to the Assassin briefly. "Alright, no talking, my bad."

Kit stared ahead of her; he was curious but he clearly didn't mean too much harm by asking. He'd probably find out sooner or later anyway seeing as he worked for Oswald and did the odd job for Edward too. She felt like she owed him some kind of information though. He was having to basically chauffeur her around after all, it put him on the outs.

"The Penguin offered me protection. Which implies I can't look after myself, and you know full well that I can. I'm not gonna be on anyone's payroll but the guy who pays my wages, I decided that before I even started this job."

"God, you're like a little Jim Gordon."

"You're not the first person to say something like that. But speaking of; could you drop me off at the GCPD? I should fill him in before he puts me on desk duty for the rest of my natural life." She assumed Jim would be in his office, having not gone home the night before. He was always like this when there was something to figure out and he was currently trying to work out Nygma's riddle. Or Joyce's riddle, rather. No doubt her landline would have eighteen missed calls on it when she got home too. It had only been a few hours, he'd think she was ignoring him out of pure spite.

"Sure thing. Y'know, Kitty, I don't think Nygma would have actually killed you-"

She wasn't going to listen to that. Kit hadn't felt so utterly shaken in a long time. That was the nearest she had ever been to death. Zsasz marked his body every time he took a life, she wasn't going to sit there and listen to him justify anyone's actions. Especially Edward's.