Chapter 28 - Fearless

Edward could see himself lead Kit into Crane's dwelling in flashes. Usually when Ed's eyes fell on the stoic detective, it happened; he'd see her and know exactly what he was thinking. His schizophrenia was abnormal. It was like he was out cold and his awareness was infrequent. Ed had always taken some issue with that, as he saw himself as an almost entirely different entity and his business was his own, but he relinquished a little when it came to Kit.

"My office is much more comfortable if you'd like to talk terms." Crane offered.

"I'm almost certain anything is more comfortable than this place, Doctor. But yes, terms are important." He gestured for Crane to lead on and then looked back at Katherine.

As they moved, Kit also followed.

"How about your Kate stays here a moment and gets familiar with my work. For the scale of your demands i'm sure a talented chemist could be of use to me, quicken production and so on." He didn't look back at Kit as he spoke but somehow they all knew he wanted to talk to Edward alone.

"You heard what she said, don't leave her on her own." Edward scolded himself.

Relax, I know what I'm doing. You really think I'd let anything happen to My Kate?

"She not y- Just don't-" He phased out the inner voice before he could finish stuttering. Ed very much liked to mock his counterpart and found it remarkably easy to do so. Maybe he ought to have listened however, as Katherine made desperate attempts to make eye contact with him. As if she too was trying to remind Ed of his promise earlier. But he didn't look back. Of course, he was only trying to keep up the charade and corner Crane. If he had everything under control then she could forgive him but it was still slightly vexing. But Kit could use the time well. She'd snoop, maybe arm herself and figure out what chemicals he was actually using.

Ed was following the doctor into his office which seemed to be down an endless corridor. There were noises all around, rattles and shuffles, just like he remembered in the countless nightmares he'd had after his last experience here.

Crane held the door for him and Ed walked in to a cold and methodical office, expecting the chance to pull his gun on the man to come soon.

When he turned around there was a spray canister being aimed directing at his face by the Scarecrow. It was no larger than a can of pepper spray but Ed knew the contents were anything but. He'd have taken a simple inflammatory agent over anything that Crane had made in a heartbeat. But Crane didn't dabble in self-defence methods, he cared for new science and knowledge. The Riddler could respect that if it wasn't so laced in aimless cruelty and chaos.

"Ha. Beat me to it."

"I've always believed myself to be a tad quicker than you. Gun on the table, Nygma. Then back against the wall." Ed did as he was told, then kept his hands by his sides.

"Well, who was I kidding? It wasn't my strongest rouse, was it?" Ed didn't show any signs of fear and surprise. His cocky smile remained and he kept very still.

Crane didn't answer for a moment, he eyed the suited man and aimed the canister carefully.

"I have to admit," He finally spoke up. "You almost had me. But when I heard that The Riddler had a little obsession with some new detective, I did some digging. You're someone I keep up with and this just goes to show why. As soon as I heard her My Fair Lady accent, I knew you weren't here as a friend, Edward."

"Annoyingly English, isn't she? An oversight on my part. But you aren't exactly my closest pal, Jonny." He grinned again but this time with more contempt.