Chapter 2: Birthday

P.O.V = Stephanie

My clock reads 7:00. I grab my backpack and head out my back door. I go over to be neighbor's house. I knock on the door. My neighbor Lucy opens the door.

"I have it," I say.

"Good, Abby is still upstairs, come inside," Lucy says. I step inside while taking my backpack off.

"Honestly you are too kind, you much have been through a lot to get it," Lucy says.

"There was some trouble but I managed to get away, plus it's her 10th birthday, double digits are huge," I say taking out the cake from my bag.

"Here, get the candles, I have a lighter," I say handing Lucy the cake and grabbing the lighter. Me and Lucy get the cake ready.

"Abby dear can you come down please," Lucy says. I smile, Abby is like a sister to me and I love her like one. It's a shame she has to grow up in this horrible environment with Loki and the ruler. I can hear Abby come down the steps.

"SURPRISE!!!," Me and Lucy say. Abby smiles so big, it makes me smile even wider too.

"Thanks," Abby says running to hug her mom.

"Hey, what about me," I say opening my arms. Abby runs into me hugging me.

"Hey Stephanie," Abby says.

"Hey kido, happy birthday," I say.

"Thanks," Abby says. Abby goes to blow her candles out. Lucy cuts the cake and gives a piece to Abby and me.

"Hey Abby come here, I have a gift for you," I say pulling out some chocolate from my bag.

"Are you serious, thanks so much!!!" Abby says.

"No problem, I also have this," I say pulling out a necklace from my pocket. It's really just a lanyard with a pen date on it but it's really much more than that.

"Wow," Abby says. I drop the necklace in Abby's hand.

"It belonged to my mother, she gave it to me on my 10th birthday, I want you to have it. My mother says that it beings you hope and courage when you feel like you have none," I say.

"It's beautiful," Abby says putting it on.

"I have to be going now, I might go back to get some more food, I don't want to have to go back again in a month," I say.

"I'll walk you out," Lucy says. Abby runs over to me and gives me a big hug.

"Thanks again," Abby says.

"No problem," I say. I reach the door.

"I want to thank you so much Stephanie, this really means a lot to her, and me. Ever since David died it's just, well it's been hard," Lucy says trying to hold back tears. I put my hand on her shoulder.

"I know Lucy, he was a good man. I bring some food over tomorrow when I'm back," I say.

"Thank you," Lucy says.

"Don't mention it," I say. I close the door behind me and walk back to my house.