(4) Sadly Sentimental

°°°°°°°。゜。°°°

Friends weren't supposed to judge you, were they?

You used to always think you were immune to people teasing you. The twins did it all the time, and sometimes— it even made you laugh.

But the things your classmates would tease you about, it didn't feel the same. It always had a different effect on you, the things they said left a pang of hurt in your chest, and their words stuck in your head all day until you managed to block it out.

Stella was supposed to be your friend. She convinced you that no one would be there for you like she was. Of course, you stuck around her your whole life— she was supposed to be there for you anyways, so she had all your trust.

Your classmates and basically everyone you knew had some sort of effortless beauty. Something about that, set them somewhere higher than you. And you had yet to catch up.

You'd get teased, picked on, and shunned by those classmates. And every time they did that, Stella told you to ignore them. She said that there was nothing needed about you to be changed, and that you were perfect just the way you were.

Of course, those words came out of pity. She didn't understand what it was like to be picked on for not looking like the rest.

Soon enough though, as you both got older... it seemed like she was disagreeing with herself. She was blending into the crowd more, trying to laugh along with your classmates. When you asked her about it, she told you not to think about it too much, and that she was still by your side.

So as long as you had your friend, you thought you were able to block those words out. Ignore the small insecurities that were forming from it. It wasn't your fault you didn't look like them.

"...Don't compare me to standards that I know I can't fit into." your words were soft spoken. There was barely enough confidence in what you said, and because of that— it was easier for them to not take you seriously.

"At least she's self aware." Some girl from the back yelled, causing the rest of them to laugh.

You were already having a bad day, but you refused to let this be your breaking point— you were not gonna cry.

The boy turned back to look at you, the gleam on his face revealing some sort of superiority over you. He knew he was better than you. He cocked his head, looking at your saddened face. Which probably made them all more pleased. "If you can't even fit into those standards, why should we be speaking to you? It's not like you have some pass. No one should take pity on you just because you're ugly..."

The room was filled with a bunch of "Oh's" at his words which you tried to ignore, looking down at your textbook.

'You've never cried because of them before, you're not gonna cry in front of them now. Don't listen to them, Y/N. Don't listen, don't listen, don't listen—'

"...Right, Stella?"

His words took you back by surprise. You actually looked up, your head spun around to look at the girl. Her face wasn't as unsure as it used to be, she just kept looking back and forth between her classmates— strands of her blonde hair falling in her face. The one person she wasn't looking at, was you.

Finally, she tucked the strands of hair behind her ear. And a mere gaze fell upon you, a look she never gave you.

"...Right."

A tear did end up falling that day. A lot of them, actually.

°°°°°°°。゜。°°°

°。°。°。°。°。°。°。゜。°。°。°。