46: Resuscitated

It's a quiet night for Robbie and me, even though it is Hallowe'en. Every night we share is mostly quiet. Neither of us has preferred anything loud and bubbly. Even at Hogwarts, we blended into the background. I didn't go to any after parties after the Yule Ball. From what I can tell, neither did Robbie. I'm not even sure she had a date.

"Who did you date at Hogwarts?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

She looks up at me. The soft smile on her face fades away. "Don't worry about it."

The brush is enough to push me away. It occurs to me that Robbie and I might not even be friends. Acquaintances at best. Does she trust me? Does she judge me for running after Silas at the wedding?

"Do you think I'm a bad person?" I ask.

She blinks, burying her nose in the prophet. I don't have any sense to read that thing, knowing that Elora works for them. Robbie cannot help it. She watches on with a morbid curiosity, and every morning she briefs me on the state of the world.

Her job at St. Mungo's is done, and no one is willing to hire a Muggle-born right now. It would be too embarrassing to ask Fred and George if we could crash at their place, especially since it would leave Robbie sleeping on the living room floor. I've been working double-time at the Ministry, especially since they are stockpiling Veritaserum, and I'm one of their best brewers. Hopefully, it'll be enough to keep Robbie and me afloat.

"No," she points out. "We're just complicated."

There is a knock at the door, and I wait a second. We aren't expecting anyone. Robbie darts out of the room, grabbing her wand and hiding in the back. I get up on my feet and answer the door.

On the other side is George, waiting. He looks at me, then looks behind me. "Hey."

"Hey," it takes me a second to register him. Earless, before me, most certainly not his brother. I take a step back and let him in. I haven't seen or heard from either of them since my birthday. I'm trying to give them time and space.

"Is Robbie home?" he asks.

I pause and look him up and down. He's dressed oddly. He wears a muggle labcoat and a top hat. To be honest, he looks quite silly. "Tell me something only George would know."

He sighs. "I don't need to rehash the first time Fred told you he loved you, do you?"

"Lupin could know that," I point out. Although, no one could wish Robbie harm that would know that story.

"Well, I'm not Lupin," he points out, putting his hands on his hips. There is a twitch of a smile on his face, but he brow is knitted. "I'm Dr. Jekyll."

When I look on incredulously, he continues. "Like, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It's a Muggle thing. Is Robbie home?"

"Robbie!" I call out behind me.

Eventually, she comes out from around the corner, sneakily. "Sorry."

George rushes over to her and wraps her in a hug. "I thought they might've snatched you."

"Snatched?" I ask. "What do you mean?"

"Snatchers," he elaborates. "They are rounding up Muggle-borns for questioning at the bar. I was... I was worried they might've caught you."

"Where's Fred?" I ask, heading towards the door. "Still at the bar?"

"The Green Dragon," George explains. "He wouldn't leave with me."