48: Rejuvenated

Christmas rolls around without hullabaloo.

I quit my job at the ministry. They've begun using my Veritaserum to interrogate Muggle-borns, and then my bosses get upset with me, claiming my potions aren't working because their superiors aren't getting the answers they want from Muggle-borns. The answers that they are looking for? Who each Muggle-born stole their magic from. I don't believe that is possibly such a thing, but that's the new hot gossip now.

I find a job at a local potions ingredient store. I can brew a few things here and there, as required, but nothing complicated. Not even Amortentia. Certainly not Veritaserum, which is regulated by the Ministry. The days get quite dull, so I start preparing to brew my Liquid Luck, which should start right after Christmas.

Robbie doesn't come with us after Christmas. She's gone into hiding, even I don't know where. I assume it's at some sort of safe house. Snatchers patrol the streets every night. Most recently, the twins got into a fight with them over the signage in their window. It ended with some property destroyed, and a few injuries (which Robbie came out of hiding to attend), but they were left relatively unscathed.

So, I don't see her for the holidays, which is the first time in I think two years. I miss her. The ache grows longingly. The boys and I try to keep up with traditions by baking the old-fashioned muggle way and taking pictures with their Dad's still camera.

Ron's returned home, and the boys aren't excited to see him. Fred voices to me in private that he wishes his brother was still with Harry Potter and Hermione Granger.

We arrive at the Burrow on Christmas Eve. Mrs. Weasley gives me the cold shoulder, and Ginny won't stop glaring at me. We go and freshen up, before coming down the stairs.

Bill and Fleur are there as well. No sign of their brothers Percy or Charlie, but I've got no idea.

Dinner is quiet. Ron is scowling the entire time. I compliment Mrs. Weasley on her cooking, and she gives me a pleasant, but decidedly fake nod. Fred squeezes my hand under the table. I know what it's like not to be liked by the people that are family. I was hoping I'd be accepted into this one, but it seems no matter.

"How's Robbie doing?" Mr. Weasley asks me.

I don't have the heart to tell him that I don't know.

"She's in hiding, like all the others," Fred answers for me. He wraps an arm around me carefully.

"We don't even know if she's still in hiding or if she's been caught. That's how incognito she is," George points out. He offers me a soft smile.

"I miss the days I worked in Muggle Artifacts," Mr. Weasley tells us. I'm glad he still has a job, but it seems sad that he can no longer work with the things that he loves. Everything is changing, and for the worst.

Mrs. Weasley stands up abruptly. "Does anyone want dessert?"

She doesn't wait for an answer before heading into the kitchen. We're only halfway through our meals. Ginny chases after her, kicking my chair in. I spill water all over myself, causing Fred to leap out of his chair.

"Oi, what's your problem then?" he demands, his shoulders seething.

"Nothing," Ginny's eyes are wide as she turns to glare at him. Her eyes dart over to me, before she spins on her heels and runs after her mother.

Fred begins to chase after her.

"Wait," I instruct. "Fred stop."

He doesn't listen to me. Instead, he chases after her. I stand up from the table and grab a napkin off the table. I begin to dab at the water on my blouse, but it does little to help me. My skirt is soaking through as well. I feel soggy.