49: Resurrected

Fred arrives at my work to pick me up. I've just finished stocking the shelves when my shift ends. My legs are sore and my hair is probably a mess, and I just want to go home and shower.

"Want to go for a walk?" he asks.

This is one of our luxuries. Walking. It was almost stolen from us by Landry, that time he attacked us in the street. Even now, I feel stiff walking along. I worry someone will recognize and snatch us. I haven't met a Muggle-born in months. We are blood traitors. Soon enough, we will be next.

"Is it safe?" I ask.

He smirks. "Depends where we are walking."

He grabs hold of me and we apparate away. It's safer than taking the Floo Network now. With the Floo, they can track us. The same goes for if we were to take a portkey. Voldemort can find us anywhere now.

We end up in a forest, and I've got no idea where. Somewhere in the countryside. It's quite barren, with empty trees due to the winter weather.

"Ron's gone," Fred says, beginning to walk deep into the forest. "He's going to defeat You-Know-Who."

I'm used to saying You-Know-Who, but he's not. Most of the Order of the Phoenix is in hiding now, and there is a taboo on Voldemort's name. If we say it, they will know where we are, and they will know we are allies needing to be exterminated.

I don't know how to respond to what he says though. I assume it's good for Ron. His return left Ron so exhausted, so devastated. "Are you happy?"

"It means we are one step closer to his defeat," Fred points out. He lifts a branch to carry over his tall head. I don't need to duck, though he still does.

"Where are we?" I ask.

"Aren't you full of questions?" he asks, and he winks at me. "Since when have I ever answered?"

I stiffen. He's not being like himself. I slowly lower my wand into my hand. It's Landry. I know it. I know him. He didn't kiss me hello. Of course, he'd only do that if he wasn't my brother. How'd he get ahold of Fred's hair? It takes a month to brew the Polyjuice potion. Maybe he went into the shops? Maybe he's been breaking into our house? Into the bed in which we both sleep?

"What?" he turns to face me.

I pull back and apparate away.

I end up in the joke shop, still in my dinky store uniform, and I'm running inside. I jump up the steps to find George.

"We have to run," I tell him.

He exhales, his lips parted. "I didn't think you'd have this bad of a reaction."

What?

A hand on my shoulder, and it's Fred behind me. Or not Fred. Landry. Maybe Marcus. Not him. Maybe him. I can't tell anymore.

"Larkin?" he asks, his eyes widen. "What's wrong?"

"What did I say to you before I kissed you the first time," I ask.

He furrows his brow. "You said you wanted to kiss me. You were bewitched and not acting yourself. Just like now."

"I'm not bewitched," I insist, looking between the two of them. They are Fred and George for sure. Unless Landry got Marcus to pretend to be George, but I doubt his scheme was that clever. "I'm just... Why didn't you pick me up from work?"

"I did," he continues. "You apparated away. Why don't you think I am me?"

I don't know. The panic over the idea that anyone could be someone they aren't got the best of me.

"Why didn't you kiss me hello?" I ask.

He chuckles, halfheartedly. "I can kiss you now if you'd like."

Okay. That's Fred for sure. I lean into him, pressing my head against his shoulder. He wraps an arm around me and he ushers us both upstairs, away from the eyes of the customers that he doesn't have. We end up in the bedroom, where I begin to change out of my uniform.

"Why did you want to go for a walk?" I ask.

He shrugs. "There was a pond I wanted you to see. I used to play there with my brother when we were kids. That's beside the point. You are seriously paranoid."

"Well, I have good reason to be," I snap. "If you hadn't recalled what Landry had done. He may not know where I live, but he certainly knows where you do. He has access to a registry."

"Well, you are safe to hide with us," he tells me. "I won't let anything bad happen to you. Worst comes to worst, we move in with my parents at the Burrow."

That is the absolute worst-case scenario. I shake my head, changing into a skirt with long black stalkings. I throw on a deep red cloak as well. "Still up for that walk?"

He nods.

We apparate back, only this time closer to the pond. The ground is snowy, I'm thankful I'm wearing decent boots. It's a little cold, but Fred is here like a fireplace to keep me warm. His arm is wrapped around mine as we trudge to the edge of the water. Icicles hang off the trees around us, and the dim light of the setting sun reflects off the icicles.

"It's beautiful," they are the only words my brain manages to get out.

He nods. "Yeah, I thought you'd say that."

I take a step further down, and Fred lets me walk closer to the water.

"You want to get married, don't you?" he asks from behind me.

I nod. "We had this conversation at the wedding."

"Larkin," he sighs.

I turn around and see him kneeling on the ground. In one hand, he holds an open box, with a gold ring inside it. It has a small circular diamond on top of it. I can feel my eyes tearing up. I have so many questions and no answers.

"Don't answer too quickly," he jokes, but his hand holding the ring is shaking.

I'm star-struck. So shocked that I can't speak. Literally. Actually. I cannot find it in me to find the words to speak. I take a deep breath in and out, looking around.

"If this is a prank, it's rather cruel," I know it's not a prank, but I need to be absolutely sure.

"None of my pranks are cruel," he points out. "Never."

I want to argue, especially when it comes to his pranks on that poor cat, Mrs. Norris, but I don't. Still, so few words.

"You can say no, and I'll be okay," he tells me.

"Why are you asking me?" I ask him. "In the middle of the war? With Robbie gone?"

"That's exactly why," he tells me. "I can't bear to lose you again, and this means that we are together until we die. Unless we divorce, or whatever."

I didn't expect him to bring up divorce in a marriage proposal, but I wouldn't have him any other way. His optimism is blinding. Maybe I won't leave again, but we could still be torn apart by this war.

"Larkin, I've wanted you for years now," he points out.

We are both so old.

"When?" I ask. "When should we get married?"

"You haven't even said yes yet," he laughs.

"Yes," I blurt it out, quickly.

He leaps up and wraps me in a hug. Our hands shake as he puts the ring on my finger, and our lips twitch as we kiss. Maybe it will never happen. It will certainly be nothing like Fleur's. For now, however, we are bonded to each other.

~~~~~

Welp. This was nice and fun. I'm happy with it. I think it's quite beautiful actually. A little bit on the shorter end of things, but I do not mind all that much. I think it is wonderful, spectacular even. I hope you do as well.

See you soon!