07: Blemished

Unfortunately, Hagrid didn't just send us on our way. He also contacted McGonagall and Snape on our behalves. Now, practically every waking second is one that I spend with Snape. In class, in our extracurriculars, in detention. After a week, I am entirely fed up.

At least it gives me an excuse to keep away from Ander Ander.

I'm studying in the common room, trying to avoid Bronwyn and Elora, when they walk in through the front entrance. Silas is in tow, but he seems distracted. Nervous even. He wrings his hands and scrunches his nose every so often. He stops when he sees me.

And he doesn't say a word.

Leaving them to their own devices, I'm back to my notes. Studying is perhaps the right word for what I am doing. Currently, I am trying to memorize the different steps of the Veritaserum potion, which I'm supposed to start over from scratch tomorrow. It takes a month to brew, and I am determined to get it right before Christmas.

"Oh look, it's Travers," Bronwyn points out.

I shutter. Merlin, I've been caught.

"Larkin!" Bronwyn beckons from behind me.

I stand up, pulling all of my notes into my bag. From there, I turn around and strut over to the chairs around the fire pit. There are four, one for each of us, but Bronwyn is sitting on Silas' lap.

"We've barely seen you in a week. Where have you been?" Bronwyn asks, leaning forward. Some of her blonde hairs are caught on Silas' face. He tries his best to wipe them away, just for her to shift and a new set to cling to him.

"We've all been so curious," Elora points out. "Of course, except Ander Ander. He hasn't asked about you yet. I'm sure it's because he knows where you've been."

She's baiting me again. I grit my teeth and say nothing. Instead, I sit down in a chair and join them.

Silas looks up at me with soft eyes and a smile. "I'm sure she's just been busy."

"I've certainly seen her coming out of the potions' room late at night," Elora says.

My detention gets out after hours, so I snap my head towards her. She'd only know that if she was prowling around the castle. Finally, I have something on her. "What's that boy from Beauxbatons name again? Henri..."

"DuChateau," she says, biting her tongue. "I hardly see how that's relevant to the discussion."

"It's just funny," I point out, sitting up straighter. I fold my hands over my skirt, tucking my legs into place. "I've seen him wandering around the castle late at night too. I wonder what he might be up to, but I'm never entirely sure."

"Is he sneaking around to see you?" Bronwyn asks, looking at Elora.

Elora's face turns pink because I've pinned her into an impossible position. She either admits that she has been sneaking around to see him, or she lies, and then it seems like she's being two-timed by Henri. I can't tell which would be more embarrassing for her Perfect Girl Image.

All because I lied and claimed to have seen Henri. Maybe she is sneaking out for reasons unrelated to him. Regardless, I've won this one.

Finally, I lean back in my chair.

There is a great pause while Elora thinks. She bites her lip, so hard that I imagine it will bleed. The flesh turns rosy to bright red. "He heard rumour of secret passages in Hogwarts, and I obliged his curiosity."