50: Invigorated

I'm prepping the components of Felix Felici at the kitchen table. My cauldron sits in the middle of the table, taunting me. It's been quite a bit of time since I've concocted a potion, and Liquid Luck is difficult to brew. I've done everything I possibly could to get ready, including peeling, squishing, and chopping the components.

It's just Fred and me in the flat. It isn't often that we are alone here, but George is on a date of sorts with Angelina Johnson. After much teasing from Fred, and a few fashion tips from me (even though George was reluctant to receive them), he left. Fred, the nosey git, had half a mind to tail them to try and discover where they were going and what they were doing. I convinced him to stay with me, and he's still complaining about it three hours later.

"It's not like you need my help," he points out. He comes up to me from behind and wraps his arms around me.

I smile, leaning my head back into him. "It's good to have a second set of hands. Besides, haven't you wanted to see me in my element?"

"You're a bit cheeky today aren't you?" he asks. "What's got you so perky?"

It's probably the ring on my finger, which I spin with my thumb. It's been a month, and the only person who knows is George. Still, today it feels more real than ever. He proposed. I'm going to spend the rest of my life with Fred Weasley.

"I'm just excited to take your last name," I tell him, staring down at the ingredients. I've never been more excited, honestly, to be rid of the Travers name. Growing up, I knew I'd lose my last name one day, and I never imagined wanting to give up that part of myself until now.

One day, I get to be a Weasley.

"I thought I was taking yours," he bends down, nuzzling into my neck. He kisses it, and I jolt away.

"Stop tickling me," I tell him. "I need to prep."

He backs away, hands raised and a smirk on his cheeks. I swallow. It's time. One wrong move and we are up in smoke.

I drop in the components, stirring clockwise. Once the Ashwinder eggs have boiled, I switch directions.

There is a knock at the door. I glance back as Fred opens it, and in steps my brother and Marcus.

I turn my back, panic climbing in my throat. If I stop now, everything will explode. Only stirring three times, I add in the murtlap tentacle. The potion flashes a bright colour, and it burns my eyes so I glance back to look at them.

"Drop your wand," my brother says. He has his wand pointed at me, but he's talking to Fred. "Or I hex her."

"If I stop we're all dead," I argue, turning back.

I feel a wand pressed against my neck, but I continue.

I powder the rue.

"What you doing?" Landry growls. His voice is too far away for it to be him holding a wand to my neck.

I swallow, and continue, dropping in the rest of the components. "An exploding potion."

Air blasts out of the cauldron, blowing the sweat beading on my forehead into my hair. Most of it evaporates, but the rest glitters gold until it becomes next to nothing. Then, I bottle it, quickly, like Professor Snape taught me so long ago.

After the potion is finished, I turn around, wand in hand. Both Fred and I are standing still, staring at our opponents. Marcus and Landry, both holding wands at us. Fred raises his eyebrows, ready to fight.