~5~

dates r important

:)

Makoto's POV

May 5th, 6:00 am

I woke up to a call from Kyoko.

"Wha..."

I groggily picked up my phone and hit the accept button. I was still tired from waking up in the middle of the night because of Hajime.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Did I wake you up?"

I giggled a little and whispered a small yes.

"Ah, I apologize. You know how early I wake up. Not the point. Last night two detectives were killed, undoubtedly by the assassin organization-"

"What?!" I cut her off.

I could hear her sigh even from over the phone. "Yes. They were investigating said organization, meaning anyone investigating is put at extreme risk. They've decided to let only Shuichi and I work on the investigation."

"Excuse me, what?" I asked with an even more shocked voice, "That puts you at extreme risk! You guys could get killed for all we know-"

"That's why we're going to act clueless. You cannot tell anyone what I just said.  I don't care how tempting that is, Shuichi and I's lives are on the line."

"A-alright. See you at school... Please stay safe."

I heard a laugh. "I'll be careful, Makoto" before she hung up.

Hajime's POV

I stood in front of the Reserve Course building once more. I got a feeling of shame every time I looked up at the building, but it's not like I could wallow in self-pity about it.

With a heavy sigh, I walked into the building. Greeted friends, made small talk, whatever. No one really talks to me anyway, since I'm friends with the Ultimates everyone thinks I'm some stuck up. In truth, Chiaki just roped me into playing video games with her and I haven't stopped since. The other Reserve Course students would never listen to me though.

I was in Math, the most boring subject in my opinion. I really liked English though, my parents knew some of it and so I wanted to learn it.

My pencil tapped on the desk as I stared ahead with a bored expression. I swear, we learn the same stuff every year. Something about y = mx + b...

While I sat there, I wondered about the investigation and the two detectives that died last night. I find it totally creepy that I woke up only 30 minutes after their estimated time of death, but I guess it can't be helped.

But what does this mean for Kirigiri? Saihara? I heard they'd be put under severe security, but also from what I'd heard they weren't getting very far anyway. I noticed Makoto being super worried when he drove me to school today. I even noticed Ouma biting his nails or whatever that weirdo does when he's anxious.

The school bell rang and bounced around in my head. It made my head hurt.

I wanted to throw it at a wall.

I broke the pencil that was tapping on my desk and sighed once again. Off to the next class.