thirty three - the long way around

They had forgotten to close the blinds, so the first rays of sunlight snuck into the room around seven in the morning. Harry woke first, squinting and burying his face in Louis's neck to block out the light. Louis's hand rested heavily on his lower back, holding him securely to his side.

Content to just bask in the built-up warmth under the covers, Harry snuggled even closer to Louis. He closed his eyes again, sighing happily when Louis's fingers pressed down into his waist even in sleep, like Louis just needed to be sure he wasn't going anywhere.

The older boy stirred just a few minutes later, groaning as if he were angry with himself for waking up. Harry smiled against his neck, amused, and Louis must have felt it because his fingers twitched against Harry's ribcage.

"What's so funny, pretty boy? Hmm?" With his eyes still completely closed, he tickled Harry's ribs playfully, making the younger boy giggle and squirm.

"Nothing's funny," Harry denied, still grinning. "Just happy."

"Oh, really? Why's that?"

Harry propped his chin up on Louis's chest, his eyes wide and earnest as if telling Louis something that he didn't already know: "It's your birthday."

"I know. I'm old."

"You're not old. You're more mature."

Louis's eyes finally cracked open, locking with Harry's. They both stared at each other for a moment before they burst out laughing. The sound shattered the fragile peace of the morning, loud and abrasive yet truly, purely happy.

"If Liam heard me say that, he'd probably shove me down a flight of stairs," Harry managed, still working through a fit of laughter.

"Hey," Louis joked, gathering Harry against him once again and giving his body a playful, protective squeeze. "I wouldn't let him do that."

Harry snorted, but he pursed his lips out for a kiss, which Louis easily granted. "Happy Birthday, Lou," he said, still smiling uncontrollably. "I would be giving you your present right now, but you made me promise not to get you one."

"Your Christmas gift will just have to be good enough for both."

And Harry just rolled his eyes and kissed him once more -- and then he shoved Louis off the bed, his body hitting the ground with a loud thump. Louis gave him an astonished look, then burst out laughing again. He chased a giggling Harry into the bathroom, poking playfully at him the whole time they got themselves ready -- and stealing a few kisses in between. They were out the door and in the car less than half an hour later, leaving the stuffy hotel room behind.

The last few hours of the drive were short and sweet. Harry was a bit quieter than usual, drawn into himself as he worked through his nervousness about meeting Louis's family, but Louis didn't mind. He just turned on the radio and sang in a horrible, off-pitch, dramatic tone to try to distract Harry from his nerves; and he never once let go of Harry's hand.

Finally, they turned into a quiet suburban neighborhood, which quite reminded Harry of where he had grown up. It made him more anxious than he would ever admit, especially to Louis.

"It's this one," Louis said as he pulled into the driveway of a two-story brick house. His tone was fond and gentle, and yet Harry's nerves only spiked.

"It's lovely," Harry complimented him.

"Well, I didn't build it." His sassy tone brought a much-needed smile out of Harry, and he paused before getting out of the car, squeezing Harry's hand one more time before he would have to let go. "You alright?"