two - the first day

Harry still hadn't returned when Louis woke up, so he showed himself out. He felt a bit like he was sleepwalking, the hazy reminder of Harry's scent clinging to his clothes and hair. He knew he should probably take a shower, especially considering it was his first day of classes at a completely new school, but he couldn't bring himself to wash away the memories of the cute, curly-haired boy he had met just last night.

Overall, his first day was overwhelming and stressful. Louis spent most of his time peering down at Google Maps on his phone, desperately trying to get himself to the correct buildings in time for each of his classes. By the end of his last class, he just wanted to crawl into bed and sleep for the next week, but he now had heaps of homework to work on.

As he made his way out of the lecture hall, he caught sight of Liam, waving like an idiot from the sidewalk. Louis grinned, some of his exhaustion already fading away upon seeing his friend.

"I told Niall we would meet him at the bookstore for some studying. Up for it?"

"I'm up for it," Louis agreed. He fell into step beside Liam as they crossed the bustling main street that ran through campus. "How was your first day?"

Liam just shrugged. "Same old, same old. What about you, new guy?" Liam bumped his hip playfully with his own, causing Louis to shove his shoulder in response. "Oi! You won't make any new friends with an attitude like that!"

"Oh, please. You'd be way too jealous if I actually made any new friends," Louis teased. Liam just rolled his eyes, laughing loudly because he knew Louis was right.

The boys came to a stop in front of a small building, sandwiched in between a coffee shop and some sort of Asian restaurant. As Liam pulled the door open, holding it for Louis to walk through first, Louis exhaled contentedly. The bookstore was warm and welcoming, with soft acoustic music playing faintly through the speakers. Somehow, his imagination instantly pictured Harry here. Smiling, dimples and all, surrounded by warmth, comfort, and well-loved books.

Louis scolded himself mentally. He had met this boy one time (and, to be fair, slept in his bed) and he already had a ridiculous, schoolboy crush. Christ, he needed to get a handle on himself.

Liam's voice snapped out of his thoughts. "Niall got us a study table upstairs," his friend said, already making his way toward the rickety-looking staircase.

Louis followed Liam carefully up the stairs. The stacks of books crowding the edge of each stair left barely enough room to walk, forcing the boys to press their backs against the wall and shuffle partially sideways.

"Louis!" A familiar Irish accent echoed through the quiet bookstore, and before Louis could process what was happening, Niall had tackled him in a huge hug.

"Jesus, Ni, let the man breathe!" Liam laughed, setting his belongings down on the table.

"I'm so glad you're here, mate. Liam is so annoying and boring --"

"Hey!"

"-- I just missed you so much. You're so much more fun," Niall continued teasing Liam relentlessly, simply using Louis as a method of joking with their friend. His wicked grin settled into a real smile, and he squeezed Louis's shoulders once more before moving back to his seat. "But seriously, mate, we're both so glad you transferred."

"Me too," Louis replied honestly, settling into the open seat across from Niall and Liam. All three of them pulled out laptops and textbooks, reluctantly starting on their homework as they continued catching up. "How was your first day?"

Niall just shrugged. "It was alright. Not many pretty girls in my classes, which was a big disappointment."

Louis sighed, exaggerating the sound to emphasize his sarcasm. "I'm sure it was heartbreaking."