❥ 06| starstruck

TIME STOOD STILL

TIME STOOD STILL.

I stood there at the threshold, with the door held open to a familiar stranger, most probably resembling a fish with my jaw hanging to the ground.

I gasped. "Oh my God. Did you stalk me home because I said something potentially offensive to you or your son?" I gasped again. "You're not a serial killer, are you? You don't look it. But you can never trust anyone these days."

He frowned. "What? No, I'm not a serial killer. Are you Fatimah?"

I scowled at him. "It's Faithe."

"Right. Faithe. Sorry. I'm–" He was interrupted mid-introduction by my ever-so-punctual mother who came racing down the hallway.

"Zayaan! My dear, come in. Come in." She nudged me out of the way with her hip and eagerly nodded him in.

My eyes widened once again, almost bulging out of their sockets. "You're Zayaan?"

I'll be honest. When I saw Reza and Nafasat Haidar, I knew that there was absolutely no way their kid wouldn't also be absolutely gorgeous. But, I wasn't expecting this. Zayaan Haidar looked like he just stepped out of a GQ magazine. With his tailored suit, perfectly styled hair with exactly one strand falling out Zayn-Malik-style and high cheekbones that looked like they could cut glass as cliche as it sounded, he completely took my breath away. But that wasn't even the start of it.

His eyes were a rich shade of dark amber, like melted chocolate or even coffee. He had long, full lashes, his nose was regal and straight and his golden-brown skin glowed, not a single flaw in sight. Good God. And when he turned his head to say something to my mother, I got a glimpse of a scarily sharp jawline and masterfully carved side-profile. Alright. I was fully hallucinating his good looks at this point.

When I saw him in the park, I noticed that he was good-looking, but I was otherwise too preoccupied talking to Riyad and had just finished a mini sob session. Oh, no. My future husband saw me at one of my worst times whereas he looked like he just stepped out of a photo shoot. He ran a hand through his thick, black hair and I made sure I didn't have any drool running out of my mouth. I may have been in love with another man, but there would never be a day I couldn't appreciate beauty. And this man was pure art.

"Your mother called to tell me that you were coming, but she didn't mention what for. Is everything okay?" My mum's voice cut through my thoughts and it felt like I'd entered another realm when I came back to the present and made eye contact with the object of my admiration.

"Everything's fine. Nothing to worry about. But I just wanted to talk to your daughter." He gave me a piercing look and I squinted. Me?