❥ 09| bale boroon

"CHAMPAGNE OR CRIMSON?"

Nezrin scanned both of the dresses critically, grabbing them to hold them over my body. "Go with the champagne one; it's not as bold and more subtle but still elegant."

I nodded, giving her a smile, and put the red one away, trying to find jewellery that would go well with the dress she chose. It was a rich champagne colour, the top half embroidered with lace, along with long lace sleeves that complemented the whole mermaid style. It had a jewel neckline, with lace flowers decorating the shoulders which trailed down to the bottom half of my dress, the satin flowing like water with each movement.

Nezrin helped me to pair it with simple white crystal stilettos, some gold hoop earrings and finally a diamond-embellished silver bangle to complete the whole ensemble.

Two months had passed since the khāstegāree, and it had both felt like a millisecond and an aeon. I'd avoided Logan like the plague for the two months since Zayaan and I had called a truce, agreeing to the marriage, allowing our parents to fulfil their wish and plan everything quickly.

It was the day of the Bale Boroon. They'd set it for the first day of April — how ironic, right? April Fool's Day: the day Zayaan was officially proposing to me and it wasn't a prank. It was a life sentence, and as much as I was starting to respect him and adore my future family, I couldn't shake off the feeling that I was doing something wrong. So wrong.

But I'd agreed and all I could do was look up with a smile as my future mother-in-law entered my room with an excited look.

"Azizam, you look absolutely beautiful. And that dress; it would look stunning on you."

"Thank you, mādarzan," I responded, fiddling with my earring, wondering why I still sounded so awkward when addressing her. And yes, I'd already started to address her as my mother-in-law. She'd begun to insist right after they set the date for the engagement party, as in the date for today, and there was no way I could address her as anything else. Not Nafasat or Mrs Haidar.

Nezrin laughed next to me, fixing my earring for me and looking over at my makeup again. Another good thing I'd gained from the entire ordeal was Nezrin. That girl was an angel. A literal angel who I was so glad to call my sister-in-law soon. We'd instantly connected the first time we talked and we'd basically been inseparable ever since; we talked on the phone every single day even when we couldn't see each other face-to-face, and she was literally the sweetest and most beautiful girl ever. Both inside and out.

"You really do, Faithe. Mâmân's right," she agreed. 

I thanked her, but my mother's entrance quickly caught my attention. "Faithe, you still haven't put on your dress?"