❥ 28| shattered glass

RAIN COULD BE BEAUTIFUL

RAIN COULD BE BEAUTIFUL. Sometimes. Most of the time, however, it was a pain in the ass that drizzled on unnecessarily and ruined your hair.

Tonight, it was especially nerve-wracking. We were inside a warm car, but it still continued to grate at my nerves as it pelted across the windows and pattered loudly against the ground. It darkened the already miserable sky, and left very little visible to the human eye. Correction: to my eyes because the man beside me continued to drive at a pace that rolled my stomach over very few minutes.

I made sure to keep my gaze outside, just in case we passed something that could give us the smallest hint, since we'd been driving around for the past hour like a bunch of headless chickens — if they knew how to drive — not a single clue where any of the kidnapped children could be.

"This is pointless," he muttered. I saw him turn to look at me from the corner of my eyes after a few silent seconds. "Faithe?"

"What?" I abandoned my sightseeing of the barren Tehran streets. "I know driving around aimlessly isn't going to help that much, but would you rather sit around doing nothing?"

He frowned, most likely at the mental imagery. "No. No, but—"

I would have interrupted him after the 'but'. I really would have, if it weren't for the deafeningly loud pop that rattled the air around us and shattered the windshield into a million different pieces of glass.

The car immediately skidded to a halt when Zayaan slammed on the brakes. His head snapped to the right to meet my eyes, his almost as startled as mine. He gave my hand a reassuring squeeze, a firm nod, opening the door swiftly and stepping out.

I grabbed his hand, almost pulling him back inside. "Where exactly do you think you're going?"

He sighed. "Faithe—"

"You're bleeding." I looked pointedly at the blood seeping out of the small cuts that the glass had drawn on his cheekbones.

He touched his cheek, bringing his fingers back down to stare at it with a grimace. "It'll be fine, Faithe. It's just some blood. I'll be back."

I watched as he reached into the dash to grab something, eyes widening when I realised it was a gun. I was already opening the door on my side, not processing what I was doing, ignoring the heavy rain and getting out.

"If you're taking that, then I'm coming too." I went over to his side, shaking my head.

"Fine." He grabbed my hand and placed the gun on my palm, bending my fingers over it softly. "Keep this on you in case anything happens."

The metal felt like it weighed a ton and I stared at my husband, unblinking. "Seriously?" He just stared at me, dead serious. "Fine."