❥ 26| vulnerability

THE NOISE OF HAIL pattering against the windows woke me up

THE NOISE OF HAIL pattering against the windows woke me up. The entire room was immersed in darkness, and I blinked, trying to clear the sleep away from my eyes. Judging by the fact that I was more tired now than when I went to sleep, I must have only managed to get a couple of hours rest at best before this storm woke me up.

But it seemed that I wasn't the only one who couldn't sleep through the vicious downpour outside. There was a tall, dark figure standing in front of the huge glass windows, the curtains slightly drawn open so he could gaze outside. I might have been afraid if the little light filtering in hadn't allowed me to see the sharp features of his face and the tight set of his jaw, seemingly lost in thought.

I got up slowly, treading softly as not to startle him but even when I stood right behind him, Zayaan didn't seem to notice my presence.

"Zayaan?"

He didn't respond; it didn't even seem like he'd heard me or noticed that I was awake.

I tapped him on the shoulder. "Zayaan?"

He broke out of his reverie and turned to face me suddenly. "Sorry, did I wake you?"

"No, you didn't wake me. But what's wrong? Why are you standing here, not asleep?"

He gave me a tiny smile that looked more like a grimace and a half-shrug, turning back to face the windows as a familiar roar and bright lightning shot out of the sky. It was storming heavily, no doubt freezing outside, and my husband did nothing but glare at the night sky.

"Not a fan of storms?"

He shook his head. "Hate them."

"Any particular reason why?" I prodded carefully.

Zayaan glanced at me, looking like he was about to say something, but shook his head and turned away.

"You can tell me, Zayaan. I want to know." I knew that it wasn't going to be some stupid reason if the razor-sharp glare in his eyes was anything to go by. I was curious to know why, as painful as it could potentially be. "Please?"

He sighed, nodding in understanding. "Storms just automatically leave so much destruction in their wake, don't they? Like death, misery, bloodshed. It's hard having seen that first-hand."

That wasn't exactly the answer I was expecting, since it was so obtuse, but I was able to infer something out of it. "Rafiq?" I asked cautiously.

"Rafiq, Naira and Adil," he expanded, but I was no closer to figuring out who they were.

I could assume that Naira was Rafiq's wife and Riyad's mum, but I had no idea who Adil was.