2

Her ears had to have been deceiving her. She didn't deserve this. Meredith wasn't exactly the nicest most caring human being, she didn't go to church or volunteer at homeless shelters. But for the most part, she had decent morals. School and work always came first, responsibility was never an issue, and she didn't go out of her way to make life hard for anyone around her. So why did she have the karma of a serial killer?

"Dr. Grey, as you know I've recommended you for the head of neurosurgery, but that doesn't guarantee the job is yours. This dashing young man is also in the running and I figured bringing him here to see how he operates for two months would help me make the final decision." Dr. Fox explained her reasonings but Meredith still stared at her as if she wasn't piecing together anything she said.

"I'm happy to be here, ma'am. It's a pleasure to meet you," Derek stepped in and gave her a charming grin.

"The pleasure is mine sweetheart," Dr. Fox shook his hand and went on her way.

"This isn't happening," Meredith shook her head.

"I think she just said it is."

"I know what she said. I'm saying...this can't be happening. I can't work with you."

"What's wrong? You don't think you can be professional knowing that I've seen you naked?" Derek looked her up and down and took a step closer to where she was standing, making the gap in between them smaller than it already had been.

"I can be professional. I am professional. You...you don't know the first thing about being professional."

"Really? Because I'm not the one with coffee all over my shirt," he pinched the stained fabric between his index finger and thumb.

"Don't touch me!" Meredith swatted his hand. "You haven't had to be professional a day in your life. But why would you when mommy and daddy can guarantee you'll get whatever you want without you having to lift a finger," she scolded.

"That's not true, I work for everything I get. You're just bitter because I don't have to dedicate my entire life towards being a surgeon and I'm still more experienced than you," Derek admitted.

"More experienced? You didn't think about becoming a doctor until I got into Harvard on a medical scholarship!"

"Yeah? And yet, here I am, working for the same job as you,'' he pointed out. "We don't all have to limit ourselves and have zero fun in order to get the job done."

"I have fun," Meredith lied.

"I'm not sure how true that is."

"Oh, it's true. I have fun. I have...tons of fun."

"Do you?" He asked, genuinely curious to know the answer.

"I...I do," she didn't realize how close the two of them were until his breath fanned the top half of her face, making it harder for her to breathe.

"From what I remember you were never really that fun."

"Then maybe we need to get you tested for memory loss, because I was the funnest," Meredith struggled to think properly the longer his dilated pupils stared back at her. She clutched the empty cup that held her coffee as tight as possible.

"Funnest isn't a word," his low whisper sent chills down her spine.

"Dr. Grey, Mrs. Gillespie is crashing!"

"Damn it!" Meredith followed her intern towards the room with beeping monitors and nurses scramming around to find a solution and Derek stood in the middle of the hall with a devious smirk on his face, satisfied knowing he still had the same affect on her.