Day 3: Summer sun spraying

Today was a special day.

Our corpse-like body felt glued to the blanket on the bottom of the tent and our eyelids felt almost as heavy as our limbs.

"Hey! ... up ... out of ...!" Echoed a muffled voice, which poured our brain with a cloud of tiring static. Go away. "...! Open your ...!" WE SAID GO AWAY! "WAKE! UP! SLEE-PY! HEAD!" The voice was clear now, it was Jen's, and she kept shaking our head from side to side.

Our eyelids lifted ever-so-slightly, letting us peer through the blurry slits up at Jen's beautifully pale face. She was smiling teasingly down at us. Her expression seemed smug, yet much more innocent looking.

We rolled over, away from her, hoping that she would go away, but she didn't. "WAKE UP! WAKE UP! WAKE UP!" She laughed, clearly enjoying our suffering. Then, suddenly, like a hurricane, Jenny hurled our blanket off with tremendous force, so much so that almost ripped open the tent as it hit the top.

Our body was now an arctic-like, shaking, curled up ball, desperately grasping onto the pillow. It felt as though we were being frozen alive. Give it back. Give it back.

"Hey! Look outside!" Jen shouted, pointing us to the open entrance of the tent. Through the flap was the same set of logs and a campfire, yet this time, everything was blindingly bright, so bright, even, that it appeared to be burning our eyes out; we kind of need those. We pushed our back up-right from the ground with every ounce of our strength: it was like a war between the rest of our upper body and our arms, which were now shaking from its exhaustiveness.

Excitable screaming and shouting was coming from outside. Eventually, somehow, we had convinced our legs to get up and get moving to go and check out what the screaming was.

Jen was cheerily rolling her blanket around her sage green pillow and put her bag on top of it, too, which she was now unzipping. "Erm, Jen?" We groggily asked, yawning, trying our utmost hardest to keep ourself awake. "Yes, sweetie?" She answered. This startled us so much we needn't try to wake ourself up anymore, she'd done it for us. It wasn't of any surprise that we were now feeling very flustered. Anyone probably would.

"Oh, I'm sorry, didn't mean for that to slip out my mouth." Jen said, adding a tiny 'teehee' at the end of her sentence. "It's fine, it was just a bit unexpected. Anyways, what is going on outside?"

"Why don't you go and have a look-see for yourself?"

"Well... I'm somewhat scared of the light. You know, it's pretty bright outside, I might get blinded!" We exclaimed. Whether it be coincidental or not, it was highly convenient that, at that moment, Jen whipped out a pair of sunglasses; the lenses were heart-shaped but slightly ovular, and the frames were a bright, lime green.

"Here, have these." Offered Jen, with a keen arm out at us, holding the sunglasses palm-up. We stood solid. "Come on, it's just a pair of sunglasses! I don't need them!" Assured Jen, with her soft, angelic voice. We took them from her hand and put them on, stroking our long hair out of our ears' way.

Much better. The entire world was darker and looked like it was being lived through a glass of still cola; Jen now looked heavily tanned through these lenses, compared to her usual pale self, and the grass green, short-sleeved, frilly t-shirt and sage shorts were now presenting themselves in a revolting, brown colour.

Now that everything is bearable to look at, we were now going to take a gander outside the tent, to see what Sam, Hugo, and Dan were up to, as the joyful shouting was clearly from them.

Upon setting foot outdoors, we were assaulted by a rapid jet of ice-cold water, which, contrary to the scorching hot sunny day, was quite pleasant, ignoring the sensation of getting blasted.