Chapter Three: And now the entire Elvenaer race arrives

That night, as I lay in my bed, tears threatened to come to my eyes, but I forced them back, and forced Äsal out of my head. 

I did not sleep. 

Grey dawn crept through my window and I lay in bed, heavy as if a great load had been laid on my shoulders, and I was helpless to remove it. I sat up, and looked at the table next to my bed. Äsal's letter lay on it. I reached out and took it, crushing it in my grasp, then flinging it into the heart of the fireplace. My breath came slow and heavy. The fire flared, but inside me all was cold. Even if he wasn't dead, he was dead to me now.

I dressed and went down to breakfast. Iio sat at the table alone, eyes red. I sat next to her, and took a slice of meat and some cheese. Her food was untouched. I ate in silence, both of us still in the sunlight streaming through the grand windows.

Finally, she spoke. "Ësal left this morning. He went to our station in the Greatwood."

I put down my fork. "To investigate?"

She drew a long breath. "To investigate." She looked at me. "How are you doing?"

I looked at my plate. "Fine. Father has arranged a marriage for me with a Free Elf prince, so I'm going to be busy today."

Iio dropped her fork. "What?"

I swallowed, and concentrated on my plate. "Father has arranged a peace treaty with the Free Elves, and I will be the seal apparently."

She grabbed my hand, and I met her tearstained eyes. "Do you think this is wise?"

I snatched my hand away and stood, knocking my chair to the floor. Dust swirled around me in the sunlight.

"I have made my choice."

"But, you always loved..."

"Do not say his name." I turned and strode from the room, leaving the sunlight and Iio behind. Every step I took echoed down the hall. I passed by the library door, and stopped, but I had no desire to read. I walked on, passing the door to the gardens, and the ballroom, and the music room. Everything was empty, and I needed to fill it with something.

"Wait!" Iio's voice echoed after me. I stopped, and she caught up. I looked at her. Her eyes filled with tears, but she took my hand. "Are you sure you're fine?"

"Perfectly." I smiled, but it felt so fake I'm sure the effect was less than comforting.

.....

In the next few weeks, there was no word from Ësal. The castle was busy though, with preparations for the party of Free Elves that would be coming. Father sent his fastest courier with the acceptance to the treaty, and they had sent word back that the wedding could take place within the month. Every day I dreaded that the party would get here, and that I would meet my future husband, again. I hadn't seen him since the dinner party. I had to push Äsal from my mind less and less every day. I was too busy dreading my fate, and having dress fittings, and choosing flowers for decorations, and evading Iio's questions.

.........

It was sunny and fresh outside, and the roses were blooming and filling the air with fragrance. I walked in the rose arbor. There was a vine of white roses twining a gate, and I reached out and plucked one, touching its velvet petals.