Chapter Seven: This is for Real

"Lilya!!"

I jolted awake to a blazing sun in my eyes.

"Lil, you'd better be awake." Iiosola was making a racket in my room.

"Ahh." I rolled my neck, or at least I tried to. It was sore and cracked like a twig.

"Lilya!!"

"Out here." I groaned.

Iiosola whooshed onto the balcony. "What on earth are you doing out here??"

"Well, I was asleep." I squinted up at her.

"On the balcony??" She grabbed my hand and yanked me to my feet.

"Remember, I'm getting married. I'll be expected to sleep in a BED from now on with SOMEONE ELSE."

"You're cranky."

I leaned against the railing and rubbed my eyes. "What time is it?"

"Late." She snapped, then pulled me into the room.

For the next twenty minutes my hair was yanked, I was scrubbed within an inch of my life, squeezed into clothes, my hair was yanked around again, then I was squeezed into my dress.

When mother and Iio finally stood back to survey their work, I watched them warily. Iio bit her lip, and turned away, but mother blinked very hard, and motioned to me to turn around.

I spun. The pale green skirt flared out all around me. Even though it was for a wedding I didn't want, I had to admit it was pretty.

"You're ready." Mother crossed her arms.

I knew in my gut I'd regret this.

.....

I stood outside the double doors to the gardens, trying to breath. I was saving my kingdom. I just had to think of that.

The handle to the door turned, and panic choked me. I turned, and ran as fast as I could, away from the door.

And whacked right into Father.

He held me at arms length. "Why, what's the matter?"

I closed my eyes. "Nothing." I forced a smile. "Nothing at all."

Father caught my gaze. "I wanted to tell you that I will never be able to thank you enough for doing this. You are saving your people."

I swallowed.

He took my arm, and led me back to the door.

.......

Raön stood at the end of the aisle, a sea of faces before him. The only ones that actually looked happy were his bodyguards, scattered throughout the crowd. They had drank late into the night before. His brother had left as well, late. Ryoc always was a jackass. Not his favorite brother.

There were flowers everywhere. On the ground, growing up the walls all around them, on the people. The scent was overwhelming.

The guards had opened the doors for the princess to walk through, but she hadn't come yet. The whole crowd seemed to hold its breath.