Chapter Four: The Library, or how I tried parkour

I reeled back. He was here, he was alive! He was covered in a muddy cloak, and his hair was knotted and filled with blood. I almost threw my arms around him, but just then the prince rounded the last corner and came up to the door.

I pulled Äsal in. He looked at me dazedly.

"Lilya!"

The prince walked around him and stood beside me.

"Who is this?" Äsal stared at him.

Then I remembered the note. His heartless note, and the way he had kissed me then said I was only 'his sister', in the words I had read again and again, each time driving a spike into my soul. Ice rushed through me, and with it my mind cleared. I lifted my chin, and put my arm through Prince Raön's. "This is my betrothed, Prince Raön of the Free Elves." I smiled, but it never reached my eyes. I turned to the prince. "This is one of the palace guards turned scout." I looked back at Äsal. "Are you here to report? My father is somewhere around."

His mouth dropped open, words failing him. "I...I...I do have a report to make."

"Well, by all means, do." I turned, and walked away. The prince walked with me, and I refused to meet his eyes, though I could feel them on my face.

When we were out of Äsal's sight, I took a shuddering breath, and tripped a little.

"Are you alright?"

I laughed, but tears threatened to come to my eyes. "Not really." I stopped walking, and faced him. "If you don't mind, I'll leave you now. This wet is getting to me."

His eyebrows raised. "I wasn't referring to the wet, but by all means..."

"Lilya!"

I whirled around. Iio was walking as fast as a lady could down the hall towards us. She skidded to a stop a few feet away. "Lil. Why are you all wet?"

"I was in the maze." I glared at her. I didn't want an interrogation in a cold hallway in wet clothes.

"With him?" She looked scandalized. I resisted covering my eyes. Iiosola was never good at subtlety.

"The princess asked if I wanted to see the maze, and then a storm blew up." Prince Raön looked at me. "We, er, couldn't find our way out for a while."

Iio's eyes got bigger, if that were even possible.

I gave her a look. She didn't acknowledge it.

"You both have been gone for around three hours, and Father..."

"Lilya!" Äsal's voice came from behind us.

"You!" Iio shouted.

"No!" I gathered my wet skirts and raced down the hallway away from the scene that was about to happen. This was starting to feel like a novel.

By the time I had courage enough to come out of my room in the morning, the sun had begun to reach its zenith. I took a deep breath, and put my hand on the door handle. Outside, all was silent. I turned the handle, and pulled. An empty hallway met my eyes, a breeze stirring the air from an open window somewhere. I breathed in. The air smelled of summer and rain, with something sharp in the background.

I closed the door behind me, and went down the hall in the direction of the library. I desperately needed a book. I flinched at every step and voice until I shut the library doors behind me. I listened for a moment, then raced over to the west corner. I scaled the shelves, using the handholds I had carved myself into the dark wood, and ducked into the Eyre, checking the thick curtain behind me. It was the exact color of the wall above the shelves, and if I kept still, no one could tell there was a tiny round room in the wall of the west corner of the library. Fresh air streamed through the round window, filling the space with dust and the scent of roses. I searched in a basket, and pulled out a hard biscuit. I considered my tiny bookshelf. A history? No. A romance? Oh horror, no. An adventure?