Episode I - The Phantom Menace : 7

The next day, Adalin continues to hide her lightsaber on her person. She also wears robes again. She stands in the hanger when she suddenly hears Qui-Gon and Watto arguing.

"I'll take that bet" Qui-Gon challenges.

"You'll what?!" Watto asks as he stops laughing.

"I'll wager my new racing pod against... say... the boy and his mother" Qui-Gon suggests. Adaline smiles at the suggestion.

"No pod's worth two slaves ... not by a long shot" Watto says.

"The boy, then ..." Qui-Gon says, narrowing his price.

"We'll let fate decide, huh. I just happen to have a chance cube here. Blue it's the boy, red his mother..." Watto says. He takes out a red and blue cube then toses it onto the ground.

Qui-Gon subtly uses the Force to push the cube into rolling a few more times before landing on blue. He smiles at it while Watto grumbles in anger.

"You won the small toss, outlander, but you won't win the race, so ... it makes little difference" Watto says.

Anakin and Padme enter the hanger on one of the Eopies, pulling an engine. Kitster and Shmi, on the other Eopie. With 3PO walking alongside, R2 trundles behind, pulling the Pod. Watto flies off, laughing. He passes Anakin as he leaves

"Ouna bakeesa. Bonapa keesa pateeso, o wanna meetee chobodd" He says to Anakin as Adalin walks over with Qui-Gon.
(Better stop your friends betting or I'll end up owning him too.)

"What'd he mean by that?" Anakin asks Qui-Gon.

Qui-Gon helps Shmi off the Eopie before he reflects the question. "I'll tell you later. Good morning"

"This is so weird, Ani! I'm sure you'll do it this time" Kitster says to Anakin.

"Do what?" Padme asks.

"Finish the race, of course!" Kitster says as if it's obvious.

"You've never won a race?" Padme says.

"Well... not exactly..." Anakin stutters.

"Not even finished?" Padme asks.

"... Kitster's right, I will this time" Anakin says, confidently.

"Of course you will" Qui-Gon says, walking over and putting his hands on Anakin's shoulders. Padme looks at Qui-Gon in concern. Adalin softly places her hand on her shoulder. She looks up at Adalin with a grateful smile. Adalin smiles back with a supportive nod.

━━━∘○∘━━━

"Is he nervous?" Shmi asks as Qui-Gon walks onto the platform from where he was talking to Anakin.

"He's fine" Qui-Gon reassures her.

"You Jedi are far too reckless. The Queen is not..."

"The Queen trusts my judgment, young handmaiden. You should too" Qui-Gon says cutting her off.

"You assume too much" Padme tells him. Adalin nudges Padme and leans closer to the young girl.

"Am I reckless?" She quietly asks. Padme shoots her a confused look. "I am a Jedi afterall"

Padme's mouth takes the shape of a "o".

"Sorry" She whispers. Adalin shakes her head.

"Nothing to worry about, milady" She consoles. Padme looks at her with curiosity but looked back to the starting line as the race starts in a bit.

━━━∘○∘━━━

Anakin races over the finish line at first place with speed. Anakin stops the Podracer. Kitster suddenly turns up and they hug in celebration. Hundreds of spectators join them. Qui-Gon, Shmi, Jar Jar, Padme, and Adalin rush over to him. Qui-Gon lifts Anakin up and places him on his shoulders, as spectators march off, cheering and chanting.

"Mom! I did it!" Anakin shouts.

Jar Jar, Padme, Shmi, Anakin, and Adaline arrive at the hangar where it's almost deserted. Jar Jar picks Anakin up.

"Good job, Ani!" Jar Jar yells, excitingly.

"We owe you everything, Ani" Padme tells him after she gives him a hug.

Shmi walks over to Anakin and gives him a kiss on the cheek.

"It's so wonderful, Ani. You have brought hope to those who have none. I'm so very proud of you..." Shmi tells him, proud of him.