Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The next morning, their mother arrived in Richie's room to wake him up, and was moved to see her two babies hugged in each other's arms.

"Wake-up kids, it's time to get up!"

Across the hall, Jane heard her alarm clock ring and remembered that she was in her brother's bed, her brother who began to fake stomach pain as soon as he opened his eyes. She followed him in his acting.

Their mother sighed.

"You spent the day outside again and caught a cold? "

You could tell in her voice that she was not gullible, but her children were honest and if they were lying to her, it had to be for a good reason that they would explain to her when the time came. Then again, they had not missed school since elementary school, so she might well give them a day off.

"Okay, you can stay here today, I'll call the school in the morning."

The two teenagers lay back in bed, happy that their plan had worked.

"However, I will be clearing the breakfast table in half an hour. You get up, or you don't eat! " Jane mumbled her displeasure as her mother added, "At least you can spend the day in your pajamas, and watch your movies in space while reading your superhero comics!"

She left the room, letting her children get up.

"Jane? You're okay ? I mean... better than yesterday?"

She stretched with a groan.

"I think I have a broken rib, Rich..."

"I told you we needed to go to the doctor!"

"With a black sole print on my stomach? He would have thought it was a fall and obviously wouldn't have asked any questions ... "

"Bowers and his gang would have been kicked out of high school..."

"But not from the city, and God knows Derry is a small town, especially when you want to avoid someone."

She got up and left her brother's room before he could add anything.

At breakfast, she did not eat much, and she returned directly to her room, to read a comic strip stolen from her brother without his consent. She was waiting for him, she knew he was coming, so as not to stay on a conflict.

"Jane... can I come in?"

There he was.

"I told myself that, if you want, from tomorrow, you can stay with us, the losers I mean..."

She smiles at him.

"I mean, Bowers hates us and always targets us, and since there are four of us and, they are four, we can get their attention while you're running away..."

She laughed.

"We may not go that far. But it would be a pleasure to stay with your friends, knowing that Heather abandoned me, because of ... Them... "

"Wait, how come she abandoned you?"

Jane told him about the discussion she had with her friend in the locker room.

"This is completely stupid. Luckily she let go, that's one less weight off your shoulders. "

They spent the rest of the day doing nothing except watching movies and listening to music under their mother's supervision. She had called the high school, which had instruction the twins to stay home and recover the missed lessons from the teachers another day. She continued on in the concerned and a lot of useless information on the importance of rest for a good recovery and the importance of catching up well so as not to fail at school. Useless information because, while they weren't the best students in high school, they were easily in the top ten.