Chapter 5

Chapter 5

She didn't take any more time to think about Criss, and rushed over to her brother, who was already laughing with the Losers. There was obviously more fear than harm.

As the pressure gradually dropped, she suddenly found it very hard to breathe, as if all the air in her body wanted to come out without her being able to breathe a single puff. Everything around her was blurry and the sounds scrambled.
She felt more alone than anything, as if cut off from the world, until a hand came to rest on her shoulder. She heard a distant voice, which she recognized as Eddie's, speak of panic, hyperventilation, help.

The hand on her shoulder forced her to turn, and she found herself facing a blurry Stan.

"Jane. Listen to me. You need to calm down. Do you hear me ?"

His tone was very calm, almost calming, and she did her best to nod.

"I know it's hard, but repeat after me, please."

He began to count out of order. 5 9 28 57... She repeated, not understanding where he was going, but her breathing slowed a bit, and all the panic she was feeling seemed to subside.

"Now listen to me. Breath, try to catch yourself."

He breathed in and out several times, until the girl's breathing returned to normal. She felt her brother hug her.

"You are stupid, Richie!"

"I know. I am sorry." He hugged her tighter, before backing up. "Can you tell me what just happened? Is it because of the kicks? Do we have to go to the hospital? "

"I dunno... Everything was fine, and I realized it could have ended badly, really badly... And... I couldn't breathe..."

"Stan! How did you know what to do? "

"It was a panic attack, which caused a hyperventilating crisis."

"It doesn't tell me how you knew how to handle it."

"We don't care, Jane. What the hell is with you? It looked like your brother..."

Stan looked furious, he rarely spoke so much.

"It isn't helpful that we stay with you all day long if you are to jump into their arms every opportunity you get."

Jane looked down, she felt really guilty...

"And you Richie. What have you done again? I know you provoked him."

Stan didn't wait for the answer and turned on his heel to go home. The rest of the losers did the same without arguing any further. Jane was alone on the way since her brother was staying at Bill's house to finalize a project in English. She still felt the presence of the blade on her chin; she didn't feel comfortable walking the street alone, especially after the threat from Henry. She quickly made her way home, avoiding the road, where Belch's Trans AM could easily pass.

The end of the afternoon went well with Jane, she took advantage of her brother's absence to do her homework in advance, and steal some comics to pass the time.

At around six there was a knock on the door and Maggie asked her daughter to open.

Butch Bowers was tall, had a piercing and evil gaze, he seemed strict, wore his police uniform constantly, leaving his gun and badge prominently at his belt. Most importantly, Butch Bowers was in front of Jane, in the doorway.

"Hello miss."

She whispered greetings, when her mother arrived to greet the new arrival.

"Butch! Have you come to settle your score?"