Chapter 10

Chapter 10

The end of the vacation passed calmly, Jane spent time with her family trying to forget back to school. She had considered going to Beverly's to explain herself, but the only time she had found the courage to call her, no one answered the phone, so it was with apprehension that she returned to high school. Strangely, back to school went well, with Jane just going to class and avoiding the dining hall, she didn't bump into anyone she didn't want to see, Bowers or Beverly.

Tuesday got off to a good start, Jane received her math grade, a perfect score, like every time she studied seriously with her brother. It's the break between her second math class and chemistry class that the day darkened. In fact, it was when Victor Criss put his arm over her shoulder to talk to her that the day took a turn for the worse.

"It's rare to see you without your watchdogs. Did your brother let you down? Even Marsh preferred to be alone rather than stay with you?"

Jane didn't dare say anything, it was upsetting, and partly true. She just wanted to run away, or ask Vic to go, to leave her alone, but she just bowed her head and asked.

"What do you want, Criss?"

"Ideally, a hundred dollars, but I'll be happy with what you have on you."

He held out his hand to her, not taking his arm off the girl's shoulder. She was trapped, so she sighed and took out her wallet to grab the money she had planned for lunch. She didn't take any money in high school, since Vic had gotten into the habit of coming to extort money from her. He never asked for more than she had on her. Jane didn't quite understand the point of this scheduled flight, but she knew it was better to give rather than upset him.

He looked at the ten bills she handed him, a little disappointed.

"Haven't you got more?" He sighed, rolling his eyes. "It will be enough."

"Can I go now?"

"No, that's not what I came from, originally. Henry wants to see you at half past noon behind the school. Come alone. "

"What? But why ?"

Vic just shrugged his shoulders as he walked away, leaving Jane unanswered in the middle of the hall. He turned one last time to add:

"Don't be late, he said he would send Patrick to pick you up if you didn't show."

This time he was gone for good, obviously he was going to skip chemistry.

The announcement of this meeting was surely the worst news of the start of the year. Jane didn't know why he wanted to see her, and she didn't want to know. No sooner had she entered the classroom when a lump formed in the pit of her stomach, it was the last lesson before she had to join Bowers or hide from Hockstetter. When the bell rang, she would have to make a choice, get hit by Henry, or get hit by Patrick. Plague or cholera.

Because of this state of mind, she couldn't relish receiving her grade, the highest grade possible and the best of the class. Better than Stan's. Maybe if Henry had been there, had seen the grade he had received at the work, he would have calmed down and had no more reason to blame her?

The worst part about this situation was not knowing why he was angry at her, she had been gullible enough to think she wouldn't have anything to do with him after Patrick tried to kill her.

And it all turned in her head during the two hours of class that she didn't see spend too much in her thoughts.

At the bell, she did not get up right away, she watched the other students leave the room, then she got up to pick up her things. As she walked down the aisle, she bumped into a table, and it was the last straw. All her things ended up on the floor, she let out a curse and bent down to pick it up, but she just sat on the floor and brought her knees to her chest, before dropping her head on them. She didn't cry, but stayed in this position for a long time before hearing footsteps in the hallway. She didn't look up when she heard the person enter the room, nor did she look up when she heard a chair creak next to her as the person sat on it.