Chapter 12

Chapter 12

That night, Jane slept more than the whole year before, and she didn't know if it was because the day had been exhausting or if it was because she had the promise of a normal, risk-free day without bullying, but she knew, when she woke up in the morning, that her day was going to be a good day.
For the first time since they went to school, Jane was awake before her brother, so she decided to go wake him up, as he had done every day for years. She was greeted with insults, and she understood why her brother liked to wake her up so much. She just wished he did it less often.

That morning, she also made the decision to get back on her bike, and she was glad she could.
In high school, she was quickly joined by Stan, with whom she shared the first class of the day.

"Are you going to tell me what happened to you, or are we pretending we haven't seen your face?"

"If this is your way of telling me I'm ugly, you should take tactics lessons, Stan."

She laughed as Stan sighed.

"So we ignore."

"It's okay, yesterday the hall was packed, there was a crowd and I hit someone's elbow, that's all, nothing to worry about."

This lie was the most credible. It was the one she had given her mother and Richie to, and that she planned to give to anyone who held her accountable. She knew Beverly wouldn't say anything, and her father had promised to keep it a secret as long as she confided in him from time to time. She was glad she got to test her lies before she had to answer her brother, avoiding a crisis on his part. She loved her brother, but he always reacted quickly when it came to her, so she was lying to him.

"You need to be more careful Jane, if you break your glasses again and need to get the replacement ones, I'll pay Richie to cut your hair in your sleep, so you'll be identical twins. You'll be a miniature version of him. "

She turned to him, laughing.

" Stop ! I'm not that small. "

"True ! You have the perfect size! "

He leaned on the girl's head.

"See ? The perfect size! "

She freed herself from the boy.

" I tell you to stop! Looks like Richie when you act like that! "

He laughs, taking an offended look.

"How dare you ?"

She turned to him, walking backwards in front of him. She was about to say something when she ran into someone.

She turned hastily to apologize with a big smile, a smile that faded when she met Henry's gaze. He looked at her viciously, and as always, he was not alone, but with his friends. She knew their deal protected her from bullying, but she hadn't discussed the "Jane causes fate and catches Henry's thunderbolt" clause. She promised herself that if she got through it without any problems, she would discuss the terms of the contract with the boy.

She might even have him sign a piece of paper.

"I'm sorry, Bowers ..."

She lowered her head, waiting for him to answer. If she ran away, Patrick would catch up with her in two seconds and charge her for trying to escape. She expected anything, she felt Stan tense behind her. She knew he was scared, but that he would intervene if needed. Even though he couldn't do much against the four boys, it was reassuring to have support.

Henry just pushed her aside, out of his way.

"Tell me, Toziette? Has anyone ever locked you in a locker? You are so small that I think you fit in without any problems. Do you want to try? "