Chapter Four

Two Week Earlier

"Mr. Jacobi?" Samantha hesitantly called as she stepped through the back door that led to the kitchen of the deli. It was bustling with noise and the sweet fragrance of the lunch prep. 

"Who are you?" A girl who was holding a large tray of food asked. 

"Ruth," she replied. "I'm looking for Mr. Jacobi. He told me to meet him at the back door."

"I can get him for you," the girl said before spinning through the kitchen door into the dining area. Samantha rocked back and forth on the balls of her feet as she waited for the elderly man to appear. She had come to make her monthly trip of picking up food for the Refuge kids. He charged her half price for day old bread and biscuits along with other treats that he threw in. It wasn't the best, but it was all Samantha could afford and it better than what Snyder fed the kids. 

When she had spent five minutes waiting, she eased herself through the kitchen door into the dining area where she scanned the room from the corner of the deli, avoiding the wandering gazes of the lunch rush. The owner was nowhere to be seen. 

"Looking for someone?" A voice asked beside her. She whipped around, her hand slipping into her pocket to grasp the cold metal of her knife. She slammed her attacker into the wall and held the knife against his throat. Her mind snapped into defense, fearing whoever was before her, determined to keep them from hurting her. She wasn't even in control anymore, not while her memories poured over her. 

The person let out a gasp, his chocolate brown eyes widening at the sight of the blade. And it was those eyes that pulled her out of both her fear and her memories. 

"Jojo?" She pulled away quickly, an annoyed sigh falling from her lips to cover up the dissipating fear from her memories and the reality of what she nearly did to the boy in front of her. 

"Neva sneak up on Amara. I'll add dat to da list," he said smiling at her, despite the fact that he'd had a knife to his throat a mere moment ago. 

"Oh now ya have a list?" She rolled her eyes with a small shake of her head.

"Course," he replied. 

"Sorry about that, but ya really should know betta," she said gesturing to the knife in her hand. She slipped it into her pocket before looking up at Jojo. 

"Yeah, well..." He shrugged. "So, who're ya lookin' for?"

"One day your curiosity is gonna get yous killed."

"Hasn't yet." Samantha scoffed at his response. 

"Mr. Jacobi." 

"What for?" She sent him a glare. "Oh sorry, is that something else I should put on da list. Don't ask about Mr. Jacobi. Got it."

"Do ya live to annoy me or what?"

"Definitely to annoy."

"How bout adding, don't ask questions to ya genius list?"

"Not gonna happen."

"Should've known it was too much ta ask of yous."

"Hey!" The boy protested.

"Don't even try and deny it," Samantha said, a smile finding it's way to her lips.

"Alright fine," Jojo folded. "Haven't seen you out lately. Where ya been?" 

"It's pretty busy at home. Is ain't had much time to get out." The truth was that Samantha hadn't been out because Snyder had beaten her so bad that she could barely walk. She had avoided leaving the Refuge for a week to make certain that all her bruises could be completely covered. Peter had almost refused to let her go to Jacobi's but even he knew that they needed the food. Some of the kids were getting worse and Samantha was running out of ideas on ways to help them.