Chapter Twenty-Four

Two people from each borough sat in the dark room around a table, united for the first time in years. Wars have an uncanny way of unifying people in unique ways.

Among the crowd sat the familiar faces of Andy, Socks, Fall, Caz, Jack, Spot Conlon, and even a shaking Davey. An exception had been made, and both Albert and Race had been allowed in the meeting. The former was allowed because of his connection to the case, and the latter because his protests from being left out drove everyone to the brink of insanity before Jack finally caved and gave him permission to sit in on the meeting if he promised to keep quiet.

Samantha and Katherine stood off to one side of the room, quietly discussing the proceedings of the meeting when Jack shut everyone up with a loud yell.

"Thank you'se all fah coming," he began, a formal tone undertaking his voice. "We 'ave called ya here because a some news dat we have recently uncovered. In case ya dropped off da face of the earth within the last few weeks, you know 'bout the unsettlin' number a newsie deaths. We have called dis meetin' because we need every borough's help if we want any hope a defeatin' this common enemy."

"And who exactly is dis 'common enemy', Kelly?" the leader of Queens called out.

Katherine stepped forward, jumping in to answer the question despite the evident direction it had been aimed. "We have reason to believe that Snyder is behind some of the attacks."

"A regular Sherlock Holmes you got yaself, Jack," the leader of East Side said. "Dat was obvious when he murdered Ryder 'fore all da newsies a Harlem."

"You said 'some a the attacks'," Socks noted, glancing at Katherine with a look of inquiry. "Are you'se implying dat not all a dem are from Snyder?"

"Yes," Samantha answered.

"Ruth?" Spot called out in surprise. "What's she got tah do with any a dis? She ain't even a newsie."

"Shut ya trap Spot and listen to da girl. She has everything tah do with dis." He turned to Samantha, giving her an encouraging nod.

"I have a confession tah make," she began, proud that her voice held firm. "My name ain't Ruth. I told lots a you dat because it was easier than explainin' my real identity. My name is Samantha. Samantha Snyder." Maybe the pause was a tad dramatic but it gave everyone a moment to process the information before they all began shouting questions, insults, anything they could think of.

"Would you all shut up!" Katherine huffed above the noise, bringing everyone back to their seats. "Let Sam explain herself."

"I don't care what your opinions a me are. I lied tah you because if I hadn't, ya woulda done exactly what you'se are doin' right now. You would have assumed. I am not my father and anyone who believes dat, can pick up deir chair and get out a dis room right now." Raising an eyebrow at the silenced leaders and seconds, she was satisfied that they would at least hear her out.

"Queens and Harlem," Katherine started. "A few weeks ago, some of your newsies were jumped by three masked people. Ryder was one of the attacked. Less than a week later, Snyder and his friends showed up at Harlem and killed Ryder. We believe that these two attacks are connected but not by the same people."

"Who else would be behind it?" Someone called out.

"The same people who tried tah kill me," Samantha replied. "Yestaday, a young girl was killed as a message fah me. She was shot, and over her dead body, a sign readin' 'da Daughter a the Refuge will die' was pinned tah the wall." She tossed the piece of wood into the center of the table for each person to see.

"How do ya know dis wasn't Snyder?" Spot asked.

"Because dis ain't Snyder's fingerprints," the leader of Midtown answered, sharing a glance with Andy. "He wouldn't do dis kind a thing. He would 'ave shot Samantha the moment he had her in clear view."