Chapter Seventeen

Song: I Don't Want to Watch the World End With Someone Else by Clinton Kane.

Warning: unwanted emotions and slight confusion, along with underage drinking (nothing like a party or anything, just a single main character due to surrounding circumstances). Maybe another cliffhanger... y'know, seeing as those are everyone's favorite. 

Two Hours Later

Jojo couldn't control the unsettling feeling pressing against his chest as he watched the rest of the newsies laughing and playing games around him. 

"Jojo!" Romeo called out, a joyful grin on his face. "Come play cards with us! We need an extra person."

"Sorry Rome, I think I need some fresh air." The thirteen-year-old boy's face fell, but it's smile was soon returned when Tommy Boy whispered something in his ear. Jojo got up from the sofa he had been situated on, and headed for the front door, so lost in calming himself that he didn't hear the echo of footsteps as they sounded behind him. 

It wasn't until he was outside, three steps off the porch when his best friend called out his name.

"Jojo," Tommy Boy huffed. "Wait up, would you?" 

Jojo turned to see his friend, and waited until he was at his side before resuming his walk. "What are you doing out here?"

"We need to chat."

"Tommy Boy, please can it wait? I have- things to do." 

Tommy Boy grabbed his arm and pulled the determined boy to a halt. "No," he stated. "We're talking now."

Huffing out a sigh, Jojo crossed his arms over his chest. "Alright fine. What do we need to talk about?"

"You."

"Me?"

"Yes you," Tommy Boy rolled his eyes. "You've been in a serious mood as of late and it's driving me mad. When's the last time you spoke to me, Jojo? Honestly?"

The boy paused, running through the past few days in his head. "I-"

"Exactly. It was the day after the Harlem attack. That was almost a week ago. And you've been gone, nearly everyday. You've hardly sold any papes recently. What is going on with you?"

Jojo couldn't believe it had been that long. It had felt like just yesterday that he had found the picture of Samantha and her mother in her old house. "Tommy, I'm-"

Tommy Boy gave an understanding sigh. "Jojo, I'm not looking for an apology, just an explanation. I'm worried about you, I don't blame you."

"You remember Ruth?" Jojo said, determined to make it up to his friend by giving him the truth. It was the least he could do. Besides, Tommy Boy would be a great ally in finding Samantha. 

"Course. The boys won't shut up about how they think she's the one killing all the Newsies. Stupid notion is what I think it is."

"Her name's not Ruth. It's Samantha."

"An alibi? Who uses alibis nowadays?" He muttered. "What's she got to do with your mood, though?"

"Everything. I've kind of known her for years."

"Okay..."

"And it turns out she's Snyder's daughter."

"Wait, so she is behind all the attacks?"

"What, of course not. She's helping us."

"So I was right!" Tommy Boy grinned in triumph, and Jojo gave a small laugh. "Is that where you've been this whole week?"