PROLOGUE: September 1979

(Hazel's POV)

I stood in the large kitchen of our new home, rocking our new-born baby in my arms gently and arguing with my recently wedded husband. He'd tried to persuade me to let us live with his mother, Walburga, but I despised the old witch. Her backwards views and hatred for muggles and muggle-borns reminded me of my own despicable family. Regulus never admitted it, but he didn't share the same beliefs she did; he'd play the role of the perfect son by acting as though he agreed with everything she said, and did, but deep down he knew it was wrong. That's why we were currently arguing. After years of being too afraid to go against The Dark Lord's forces and being bullied into joining his ranks by the likes of his parents and cousins, he had finally snapped. He'd discovered something dark. Something really dark. Something so dark, that when he explained it to me, I almost threw up in the bin.

"You can't go alone!" I yelled at him worriedly, "ask someone from The Order, tell them, and they can do it!" He shook his head and rested with both of his hands against the kitchen sink.

"They'll arrest me on sight," he countered, "my brother, he-he hates me." Sirius Black, his older brother, had hated him ever since we'd started Hogwarts. The hate wasn't mutual though. Regulus admired Sirius; he'd even insisted on making our son's middle name 'Sirius'. I had let him persuade me since he'd let me break the stupid tradition of naming Black children after stars or constellations, something which infuriated Walburga Black. I'd only seen the two brothers interact a couple times when we had been at school, and after every time he would complain about how Sirius treated James Potter as more of a brother than him. I knew now what it felt like to have a member of my own family hate me.

I'd had an altercation with my own family after our wedding only a month ago. They found out that my maid-of-honour had been a half-blood, and ordered me to sever all ties to her, even though I'd been friends with her since my first day of Hogwarts. When I'd argued back with my mother, she decided to just cut me out of her and my father's will, which I wasn't bothered about anyway; my brother and his family would have gotten everything anyway since he was their heir. They had all been acting odd with me since February, when I'd fallen pregnant during my seventh year. The Black's on the other hand were overjoyed. In their eyes they had someone to carry on their line, as long as Regulus and I were wed before I gave birth.

I dreamed that one day my son would marry a muggle-born or half-blood witch, just to spite them.

"I'll come with you then," I told him seriously, still rocking (Y/N) in my arms. It was a surprise he hadn't woken up with all the noise.

"Don't be ridiculous Hazel," Regulus hissed, "you're not leaving our son." It was difficult to contend with him when he had such a good argument. There was no way in hell I would leave my son, not even if it meant saving the Wizarding World.

"I'll be back in the morning," Regulus then promised, resting both of his hands on my shoulders and kissing my forehead gently, "I'll take Kreacher with me for backup." His old house elf was a truly horrific servant. Whenever I'd been graced with his presence, he'd made me feel uneasy with the despicable language he'd use.

"You better be," I warned, wrapping my spare arm around his shoulders, "you're not getting rid of me that easily Black." He let a half-smile pass his lips.

"I love you. Look after our son," was all he said before picking up his wand off of the kitchen counter and leaving our house.

I waited up all night.

But he never came home to me.