✦ Six

We retrieved the egg and began to walk back to the Jawas in silence. I could sense Mando's confusion from a mile away, feeling almost grateful for the Guild's no-questions-asked policy. I knew that I had no choice but to reveal my identity for our survival, but this did not prevent the feeling of unease that washed over me like a wave. 

What would happen now? Surely there were people who saw the whole ordeal and began to suspect things. Perhaps I should disappear; take the child and go off the radar for a few months to make sure no one could find us. Even so, this would almost certainly result in us being pursued relentlessly by ex-Imperial officers. And Mando - would he spread the word of my powers, maybe even put a bounty on my head?

However, I could sense that Mando was trustworthy. I didn't know how, but in the few days that we had known one another, we had come to relax slightly around each other. It was almost as if the Force was telling me that he could be trusted. 

I sighed inwardly and shook my head at the complexity of the whole situation. 

Soon, we approached the sandcrawler and handed the eager Jawas their egg. I watched in disgust as they sliced off the top and began to feast upon the yolk. 

So uncivilized. 

We walked over to Kuiil who was waiting for us. "I'm surprised you waited," remarked Mando. 

"I'm surprised you took so long." replied Kuiil, in true Kuiil fashion. We retrieved the starship parts from the Jawas, and began the long journey back to the Razor Crest. The child did not wake during the course of the trip, but that was to be expected from the amount of energy he had exerted in lifting the Mudhorn. 

After about a day's travel, Kuiil, Mando, the child and I reached the Razor Crest and began to inspect the damage done to it.

"There's no way we're going to get this to work without a full maintenance facility," sighed Mando. "This will take days to fix."

"If you care to help, it might go faster. There is much work to do."

We worked on the ship throughout the next few days, welding parts and slowly piecing the Razor Crest back together. Although tedious, it was nice to have a break from the hectic everyday life of a bounty hunter. By the end of the week, the Razor Crest was fixed and ready to fly.

We stood inside of the ship, bidding goodbye to Kuiil. Mando insisted on offering him part of the reward, but Kuiil was having none of it.

"I can't thank you enough. Please, allow me to give you a portion of the reward."

"You deserve it. I don't know what we would have done without your help," I agreed.

Kuiil shook his head. "I cannot accept. You are my guests and I am therefore in your service."

Not giving up, Mando continued, "I could use a crew member of your ability, and I can pay handsomely."

"I am honored, but I have worked a lifetime to finally be free of servitude." Kuiil smiled slightly.

Mando nodded in acceptance. "I understand. Then all I can offer is my thanks."

"And mine as well," I added.

"Thank you for bringing peace to my valley, and good luck with the child. May it survive and bring you a handsome reward. I have spoken." Kuiil stepped out of the ship, and Mando walked to the cockpit, presumably to start the engines. I made to follow him, but a voice stopped me.

"And y/n?"

I faced Kuiil, who watched me curiously on top of his Blurrg. "Yes?"

"May the Force be with you." 

Once the Razor Crest had made the jump to hyperspace, Mando pressed a button on the console, displaying a hologram of Greef Karga. "Mando, y/n. I've received your transmission. Wonderful news..." I tuned out the sound of his voice and focused instead on the child, who had awakened from his slumber. I laughed lightly as he reached out to grab a ball on top of one of the ship's levers. 

"That's not a toy, little one." I gently lifted him up and placed him back in his cradle.

A small beep echoed, signalling the end of the message. I then turned to Mando in the pilot's seat. "So, about the bounty." 

He looked at me  - at least, I think he did - and leaned forward. "What about it?"

"I want you to take it." I handed him the bar of Beskar I had kept in my pocket. "All of it." 

"But-"

"Look, I don't know about you, but I won't reap the rewards from the capture of an innocent. I do murderers and criminals, not children. Besides, the Beskar cannot be in better hands than with a Mandalorian, and it looks like you're in desperate need of some new armor. It's being put to good use." And it's not like the Mandalorians would trust me enough to have the Beskar forged even if I did take the bounty, I added mentally, fiddling absently with the mythosaur pendant hidden beneath my armor.

 Mando tilted his head. "Are you sure?"

"Absolutely." 

There was a beat of silence, permeated only by the soft hum of the Razor Crest's engines. Unexpectedly, Mando spoke again. "Thank you." 

I smiled softly. "No problem."

Once we had landed on Nevarro, Mando and I parted ways. I wished him luck, then began to make my way back to the hangar that housed my ship - the Nova Callisto. I waved off the pit droids that seemed adamant on repairing it after I told them not to, and sat down with a sigh. I removed my armor and began the monotonous task of cleaning and polishing it. 

During the process, my thoughts strayed to the child. His story was quite similar to mine - he had been alone and in hiding for fear of death or capture. I could sense that he had training - how else would he be able to stop a mudhorn in its tracks? And he looked just like Master Yoda...

Abruptly, I stood and began to put my armor back on. I holstered my blasters and pocketed my lightsaber, walking briskly out of my ship and into the streets. People gave me a wide berth, not wanting to be in the way of a bounty hunter on a mission.

I made my way around the back of the building that housed the client, scientist, and the child. I spotted the child's dented cradle in a garbage bin and swallowed nervously, hoping I wasn't too late.  Walking up to the familiar green door, I was greeted again by the security droid. Just as I was about to destroy it, I sensed a presence behind me.

I whirled around, pointing my blasters at the source in the blink of an eye, only to be met with a familiar helmet. 

Mando. 

Mando's POV

After turning over the child and collecting the camtono of Beskar from the client, I forged my new armor at the Mandalorian covert. I then went to the cantina to acquire new targets from Greef Karga, ignoring the stares and whispers from its patrons. Keeping busy was the best way not to dwell on one mission.

Walking back to my ship, my thoughts drifted to y/n's words on the Razor Crest. 

I do murderers and criminals, not children.

Was she right? This creature was just a child - why should he be handed over to the Imperials to be killed - or worse? 

I shook my head slightly, wondering if I was really going to chose the path that would certainly lead to an unforeseeable amount of trouble. Making up my mind in a split second, I got up out of the pilot's seat, left my ship, and strode back to the client's location. 

Drawing nearer to the building, I saw a figure at the door. They must have heard me, because they spun around and pointed their blasters at me. I raised my hands in defense, but then noticed who it was.

Y/n.

• • •