✦ Twelve

The sound of the shot echoed through the area, causing children to scream and birds to flock away en masse. 

Mando and I shared a glance and in an instant, we were sprinting towards the source of the noise. We passed Omera, yelling for her to get the children, and drew our blasters. 

In a matter of seconds, we approached the edge of the forest, scanning for movement anywhere in the shadowed area. There was no sign of anyone besides our shock trooper friend. 

Moving closer, we saw that Cara stood over a body with a smoking hole in its chest. Mando flipped the body over with his foot, revealing two rapidly beeping tracking fobs. 

My blood ran cold as Mando picked them up. It was a bounty hunter. My heart crept into my throat, and I half-hoped that I was still asleep, but no, this was reality.

"Who's he tracking?" asked Cara.

"The kid."

"And the other one?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "Me." Mando's head snapped up, and Cara's eyes widened in realization. "They're after me."

Stupid, stupid, stupid. How could I have been so thoughtless? The ex-Imperials were clearly hunting Grogu because of his force-sensitivity. I should have known that it made me a target, too. The one presence I had been avoiding for nearly a decade had come to find me.

"They know you're here?" Cara questioned.

"Yes," I replied.

"Then they'll keep coming."

"Yes." The child was no longer safe here, and neither were we.

Mando, Cara, and I traipsed back to the village and assured everyone that the blaster shot was nothing to worry about.

Much to the villagers' dismay, however, Mando and I informed them that we would be leaving. With heavy hearts, we began to pack up our supplies. In under an hour, they were being loaded onto the speeder that had first brought us to the village.

Predictably, I was given the task of speaking to Grogu about our situation. He took the news surprisingly well, letting out a sad coo but coming willingly all the same.

At last, all the supplies had been packed away and stored, Grogu sat stoically on the speeder, and my lightsaber rested safely on my hip. It was time to say our final goodbyes to the entirety of the village who had come to see us off.

After a farewell from Omera and Cara, as well as a few tears from Winta who was upset at Grogu's departure, we started the speeder and watched as the now peaceful village grew smaller and smaller in the distance.

The journey passed in silence. No words needed to be exchanged to convey our apprehension at the uncertainty of our future, of Grogu's future.

By nightfall, we had arrived back at the Razor Crest. After a hurried transfer of our supplies, the ship took off, making the jump to the familiar blue hues of hyperspace.  Silence settled over us once more, permeated only by Grogu's soft coos and the hum of the Razor Crest's engines.

Mando cleared his throat behind me from where I stood, absentmindedly rifling through a box of rations. I turned around apprehensively to face him. What would he say? He'd probably drop me off at the next habitable planet or worse, give me to the Imps in exchange for the child's safety. I steeled myself for the inevitable dismissal.

"You and the kid should get some rest."

What?

Frowning slightly, I replied, "Are you sure? I can take the first watch if you're tired."