02 - STEVE

━

CHAPTER TWO
The Quiet

STEVE ROGERS THREW his shield through the air, the vibranium hitting the incoming man in the face before it bounced off the wall coming back to him. He caught it easily and he slipped it on his back, hearing the satisfying 'clink'.

A few hours ago he was in his apartment trying to figure out how to fix his dish washer with his stereo in the background and now he was outside of an old, abandoned industrial warehouse in Baltimore on a rescue mission. He had gotten the extraction notification a few hours ago. Members of a crime syndicate had hijacked government transportation of weapons and chemicals for a research facility and had kept their drivers as hostages.

He peered into the window as the salt water from the sea not too far away hit his nose. He would have enjoyed it had he been under different circumstances. He lifted his wrist up to his lips. "About 6 hostages and a dozen kidnappers."

"On it." Natasha Romanoff's voice replied. "West corner is clear."

Steve's focus shifted primarily to the hostages and their safety. He clenched his jaw and tightened his grip on his shield. He glanced up to see a window open. "There's an open window. I'm going in."

He quickly climbed the shipping box on the side, making no noise. He leaped up, gripping the ledge of the window as he easily pulled himself on top of it. He crouched down, peering inside to see metal beams keeping the interior structure upright.

Steve stepped out on a metal beam, not making a sound as he glanced down. Each hostage was wearing a black uniform. Their ankles and wrists were tied and their mouths gagged.

"Status, Natasha?" Steve murmured.

"North entrance." Natasha answered.

"Rumlow?"

"South entrance." Rumlow's voice rough replied.

"Alright, on my mark. 3, 2, 1."

Steve quickly tossed his shield down at the man underneath him. He then jumped down on the floor, catching the shield before hurling it again.

He saw from the corner of his eyes to see Natasha and Rumlow taking care of the kidnappers by the doors. Leaping over some boxes, Steve whirled around, kicking two men in the face with each foot.

"Cap!" Natasha yelled before she threw his shield back at him.

With one last man standing, Steve harshly kicked him in the stomach. He went flying across the warehouse, hitting the wall with a large bang before falling to the ground unconscious.

"Are you all alright?" Steve asked as he looked at the lines up hostages.

Receiving a lot of head nods and muffled murmuring in response, Steve aided in untying them all as Natasha and another member of the STRIKE crew checked their vitals.