16 - MARA

━

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
Aaron Reyes

MARA WAS GOING to throw up.

She could feel her stomach churning and her head spin. Never in her life did she think she was going to see her brother again, and if she did, she thought he'd have a normal life with a family and a job with a steady pay check but here he was standing in front of her surrounded by a Maggia family that wasn't his own with a smirk plastered on his face. A very punchable face.

She had imagined many times what she'd do if she'd see him again. Scenarios would often end in a hug or her punching him in the face and as her feet moved towards him, it was going to be the latter.

Her fist made contact with his nose. Her recklessness overpowering the logical side of her that had developed in the last seven years.

The Hammerheads all strode towards her, but Aaron's deep voice stopped them as he stood, wiping his now bleeding nose. "Leave it. It's alright. I was kind of expecting it. I guess this means no hug."

"Nope." Mara said flatly. "But I have another punch in my other hand if you like."

Aaron smiled their mother's smile, moving his dark hair away. "It's good to see you."

Mara glared at him.

"Even though I'm sure this is a bit of a surprise for you," Aaron continued. "I really am glad to see you. You've grown up. Tough. That was quite the right hook. You don't need anyone to look out for you anymore."

"I haven't needed anyone since I was twelve." Mara jibed.

Aaron's eyebrows lifted and Mara could have sworn a look of guilt passed his face. "I deserved that. I did.
Would you gentlemen leave?" He requested sternly, his voice sharp and low. "I want to talk to my sister. Alone."

When they were left alone, Mara looked anywhere and everywhere but her brother.

"So...Mara or Andy– which one do you prefer?"

Mara froze, squinting her eyes as her head instinctively snapped towards him. "How did you–"

"I have my ways." Aaron shrugged.

She took a second to study him. He had grown out of that teenage boyish charm. He had always been handsome and growing up seemed to amplify that. He had stubble over the lower half of his face and his hair was still dark brown like hers, but it was longer with strands falling over his cheeks. His now crooked nose let her know it had been broken but he managed to make it work.

"Now it's just us two, you can talk." Aaron encouraged.

"About what?" Mara queried, narrowing her eyes. "I have nothing to say to you."